Aspiring Elven bladesinger
Well what is this that I can't see With ice cold hands takin' hold of me,
Well I am death, none can excel, I'll open the door to heaven or hell
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Player Knowledge

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Why would a mage have a magic sword?
To hack and stab baddies, of course. :)

Gandalf had a magic sword.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I agree with the descriptions-over-gamespeak suggestions. One of the most enthusiastic compliments I'd ever heard paid to the TSR staff at a game convention, back in the early days of RL, was when a player stood up at a panel discussion and declared to the Kargat designers:

"Thanks to you, I can tell my players, 'You see the bony form of a walking skeleton approaching', and they have no clue what they're up against!"
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
riMkrad
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by riMkrad »

I was playing Feast of Goblyns with a new group (at the time anyway) and two old players... one played in character and didn't know where to look for stuff... the other went right for where stuff was.. mysteriously the rooms, passage-ways and or treasure were not where he knew they were... he was frustrated, the other old hand was amused.. and everyone moved on....

if you know an old hand is not playing in character... just change the game....
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

alhoon wrote:Why would a mage have a magic sword?
Martial weapon proficiency? A level in fighter? Because it looked good?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

Also because he was a power gamer
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A powergamer mage spending a feat for martial weapon prof or a level as fighter? :? Then he's not good at powergaming. :P
I could only understand it if the player used rolled stats and got many good stats so he could spare for high strength. With point buy system a guy must be insane to waste points for strength when playing a wizard.

Personally, I sometimes get one level as ranger knowing the problems and penalties I would bring on my char but then my char can at least be a tiny bit effective after his spells run out.
Elves aren't good fighter/mages because of low con, and actually a pure wizard with a sword can't do much.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

Also in a recent game with a RL virgin, and a RL veteran, we had an instance of player knowledge working against the player. If anyone has read Sarki's Open Window, youll know how this ends.
The players sought a night stay at one of the player's more well off relatives homes in Dementliue. An uncle whom they hadnt seen or heard from for a decade but had always helped the family in need. When they arrive, only the servants , Lady and daughter were in. The Daughter proceeds to tell them in secret about how her father (the uncle) and her 2 brothers and dog had gone out hunting 3 years ago. During the hunt, they fell in a bog and were never seen again. The mother, the daughter said with dismay, was delusional and believed that her husband and children would come through the back doors at any moment from their hunt. When the mother began going on about it after a meal, the players looked at each other with creeped out eyes. (crazy people can sometime be creepier than the most foul undead thing) then they heard the bark of a dog. They looked out and saw three figures and a dog walking against the sunset.
The player with RL experience began giving the virgin various tips on dealing with Mud Zombies. They asked the family to stay inside and that they would "see if they needed to be checked" before coming back inside.
They walked up and the virgin opened fire instantly killing the mud dog. The other player attempted to turn the other two mud covered figures.
In horrifying realization, the figures were quite alive and were just the uncle and two sons covered from head to two in mud. Not only that, but had only gone out that morning. The little girl had been simply trying to scare and play a cruel joke on the new comers.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Now THAT is fantastic! Way to plant that seed of doubt in the minds of a player. I'd say this has less to do with player knowledge than the player getting ahead of himself. I'd think van Richten would have advised waiting to see the whites of their eyes rather than dropping the fireball from a distance.

What were your players' reactions?
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would agree with Strahdsbuddy. It was quite nice.
Also keep in mind that the Weathermay twins say that 11/12 times the "Ghost" is a lantern that moves from the air and the "stealing fey" are street urchins.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

Player's reaction: Gasp, Dumbfounded, stumbling on words, giggling, then remorse for killing the dog.
In game, a mass of apologies, lies and promisies to buy a new dog, the players went back in and began to revenge themselves on the daughter by convincing the father she was insane.
Several Rolls, lies, truths, and impromtu gaslighting: the daughter was sent off the insane asylum.

She has since become a recurring villain
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Revenge on a little girl? That's gotta be an act of darkness! SHe may be a recurring villain but they created her!
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

They drove a little girl insane. I would also say, Bam! Instant Act of Darkness.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

Actually with all the circumstances, i didnt make it an AUD but it still required a PC:
The girl her self did not go mad, (well not by fault of the players) but the players did convince the family that she was nuttier than squirrel feces and that this was for her own good and the safety of others. (clearly the girl is unrepentant of almost getting her father killed) The gaslighting was enough to make the girl realize something was a foot, but no one would believe her after her previous lie.
Once they told me they wanted to revenge themselves on her, I off the fly created a more indepth character for them to deal with on an ongoing basis. (Oh and they're kicking themselves in the butt since they cant get to the girl now that shes in the "saftey" of an asylum)
On the way to the "crazy train wagon" (as the virgin called it) the girl herself failed her own powers check when placing a a curse on them which was what actually started her down the path of recurring villainess.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sending a girl to the asylum because they were duped? Not a kindly act. As you said, PC required but I agree it's not AUD. Killing her loved ones in front of her and feeding them to her, then drawning her in a swamp and let her rot... that's an AUD.
PS. In case a player or NPC did that, I wouldn't go near that swamp.
My DMGuild work!