A question of faith.

Books, movies, television and everything else
Trebor Minntt
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

A question of faith.

Post by Trebor Minntt »

Since we have had just about everything else asked (including police records) I thought I'd try to find out what people 'believe' in. I'm a Pagan with my main focus being Druidism (though I'm not a Druid as I'm not a priest), but with a slight leaning towards Witchcraft.

What about the rest of you?
I can feel the universe flowing through me,
I am more than man,
More than Life,
I am a GOD.

Kargatane refugee, 31/10/03
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Roman Catholic here. ^_^ Born and raised Southern Baptist, officially converted to Catholicism last April.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A question of faith.

Post by Coan »

Trebor Minntt wrote:I thought I'd try to find out what people 'believe' in.

What about the you?
Money, the stupidity of man and the brutal arena of survival.

Though nice people are about as close to divinity as you'll find.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Shadowking
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

My religion

Post by Shadowking »

While I was born Jewish I'm generally an atheist, although I do believe in the supernatural.
"To bring down the monster you have to become a monster"
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Hedge Witch, and no I'm not Wiccan :P

My beliefs are similar to Druidry and I work heavily through trance and non-physical forms of divination (tools just get in the way if you ask me).

I dislike the term Pagan since I don't live out in the wilds (it means Country Dweller, lol) :P

I use spirit guides regularly, I meditate, use divination, healing and protection magicks, am great and energy transference (such as moving pain from a person into an object), use Tarot, I Ching, Runes and so on.

Hmm... It looks like I contradicted myself there, I said I don't you tools for divination and went on to say I use Tart and so on. Well, when I refer to Divination I refer to the acts of scrying and remote viewing. I can just sit there and think and do it, don't need tools for them.

However, I could never do away with my cauldron (14" tall, 14" across, wrought iron, paid £30 for it in a antigue shop), it's a great place to store my incence, iron candle snuffer, tee-lites and so on. May not use them to practice my craft, but all of them make the room look better decorated :)

Oh, and to save you all asking, a Hedge Witch is a Witch who practices without a coven. I say what it i all the time these days, you'd be amazed how many Wiccans, Druids, Witches and so on have never heard of the term Hedge :P
Swallow your soul!
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Deist, raised United Church. It's not that I don't believe in god, just that I strongly disagree with some of the Catholisism's follower's views, and I cannot settle at thinking that the Bible is all there is when it comes to knowing the divine realm.

I'm fairly skeptical towards the supernatural. The romantic in me would like for it to be real, be without solid, testible evidence I just can't accept it. And yes, I'm aware this might seem a contradiction based on my religious views, but there a fair bit of distance between faith in one and belief in the other.

Although I don't meditate, I do achive something similar through long periods of drinking, dancing, sleep deprivation, and observation of the ebb and flow of humanity, though not nesiscarily all at once mind you.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I'm agnostic, raised orthodox christian. My belief in the supernatural pretty much mirrors C_L's. I do believe in higher forces, but what these may be like, I can't quite imagine.
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

I'm a Protestant Christian, born and raised in the Assembly of God Church (a Pentecostal denomination that is not--before you even ask--anything like the folks you sometimes see on 20/20 drinking poison and handling snakes during their church services).

In college, I got away from it for awhile, as there I was exposed for the first time to open atheists, deists, wiccans, witches (still don't know enough about them to make the distinction, but the folks I talked to apparently did), Roman Catholics, agnostics, and others who just never thought about "religious" views. After graduation, however, I came to realize that something was missing from my life--something I once had that was there for me to regain if I wanted. Though I struggle each day to live up to the standards Jesus Christ taught, the walk is rewarding.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I was raised Presbyterian, though my beliefs don't strictly follow that faith.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Technically, I'm similar to Trebor, we share a lot of beliefs, but there's no proper definition of what I believe in, as it's sort of a mish-mash of paganism, occultism, spiritulism, witchcraft and even some Chrisitianity (CoE, of course, the only branch of the Christian faith founded on the precepts of sex and divorce).
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

AdamGarou wrote:...wiccans, witches (still don't know enough about them to make the distinction, but the folks I talked to apparently did)...
The differences are few and many at the same time. I'll list a couple here for you.

Wicca is a modern religion, while Witchcraft descends directly from Druidry and is closer to nature, though Wicca is also an Earth-based religion focusing on natural balance and order.

Witches will forego the use of tools such as an altar, cauldron, candles, incense, caups, wands, staffs, athame, boline, sword, etc... Wiccans tend to favour these tools. Alot of witches work in trance, a form of meditation that crosses with astal projection. I use no tools in my practice, though I do own some since I like them.

Witches can work easily without a sacred space (casting a circle) while Wiccans are taught to work with one.

Witches are at ease working alone or in a group, Wiccans are taught to work with one or the other much of the time.

Witches work more with Spirit Guides while many Wiccan Traditions avoid them (never worked out why though despite asking many times).

Now the really big difference. Witches follow any and all deities in creation unless they go against the religion, thus they do not follow Satan since he is a Christian creation (Wiccans follow this same principle). They honour many deities at a time or change to the best suited deity forthe given task, ritual or spell. Wiccans follow a pantheon of 5 deities, 3 Goddesses, 2 Gods and these never change unless the Wiccan changes their Tradition (form of Wicca) and this can be rare at times. Wiccans are taught to follow a religion such as Gradnerian, Saxon, Dianic, Nordic, etc... Witches donlt acknowledge traditions as such. Wiccans are also more likely to adopt the Christian pantheon among their deities and there are many Christian Wiccans. Eclectic Wicca is growing, though they still follow the same deity principle, but it is closer to the older Witchcraft than most Wicca.

I thnk I covered some of the differences, ut there are many more and the list could possibly end endless or very short. But those are the most frequent differences I have come upon.
Swallow your soul!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Conservative Judaism here. But I'm also a very scientific/technological-type, so I suppose I'm some sort of deist or theist. I've also got some unitarian leanings. (i.e., there is a god of some sort, although he chooses to operate by physical laws most of the time, and while my organized religion suits me as a way of connecting with him, all organized (and unorganized) religions are ways of connecting with him that work for other people, and none of them have any proof that they are the only truth. And if you're an athiest, maybe you're right too. Who knows?)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jamieraleigh
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by jamieraleigh »

I'm in the same boat as AdamGarou. I was raised Baptist, but began attemding an Assembly of God church when I was twenty-one. I attend a Baptist church with my wife now, but I still hold alot of the same beliefs as the AoG church.

BTW, it's good to see another Christian on here. I actually play in a weekly D&D game with friends who are made up entirely of members of my Sunday School class. :lol:
Jeffrey A. Davis
www.jeffreyadavis.tk
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Well, I am... complicated. I was raised as a Christian Orthodox (as most Greeks) and I generally believe in most of the Orhtodox Dogma. But as the years accumulate, personal experience and studies are continually shaping my philosophical and theological views . You can now say that I am a Christian believer, but in my own personal way.
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Born catholic, but today I stay away from that as much as I can. I'll stop here before I need to be edited.

I do not believe in god or any other higher force. God is a human creation - the reverse still needs to be proven ;)

And no, I do not believe in the supernatural either.

That said, the idea of supernatural is quite cool but I believe we just do not have the explaination today. IMHO, we'll find the answers to these phenomenons, those that are not hoaxes or hallucination, in the future.

Joël