Back to Basics OOC

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Back to Basics OOC

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Please remind me has Sara tried to open the lock at the safe box normally by taking 20? She has 26 total which maybe is enough. If it isn't we can procceed as Ewan said.

Yeah, better try that first.

:)
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

OK then 1st Sara will take 20 to search for traps and 20 to open locks.

If fails Dalorna will use acid orb to weaken the lock while Isidar will check if there is a softer spot at the safebox.

Then Sara will shoot with her guns the lock.

If this isn't enough will try to get out some gunpowder from couple bullets and put it directly to the lock and light it trying to make sure whatever is inside to not get damaged.
Last edited by VAN on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Roleplaying note-

My PC is very smart (INT 16), and has a wee bit of engineering lore (1 rank in knowledge arch& eng) but she knows very little about gunpowder. Back home in Faerun, 'smokepowder' is nearly a monopoly of the church of Gond, and mostly used in places like Lantan. Dalorna is from Cormyr- although she is freinds with a cleric of Gond, and Marsmeber was briefly a place where gunpowder was made (in the previous campaign- she may have heard vague stories, maybe). To Dalorna, 'smoke-powder' is some kind of weird cleric magic. I want to stress that about all she knows is that it blows up and makes a lot of smoke, and shoots metal balls that Sara calls 'bullets' out of those funny looking magic wands. She's seen Sara load the pistols and prime them, so she has some idea that the stuff in like a material compenent in a spell. It's obvious that it burns, and can create some kind of explosion. That's all she knows.

Skybolt will correct me if needed, but I'm pretty sure I've roleplayed this correctly.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Roofdrak
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Roofdrak »

Blacksmithing roll = 20 (12 + 8) to check for weak points on the safe.

Untrained craft roll = 17 (15 rolled + 2 Int) to assist Sarah in making a petard. LSB- Even if I'm not forging it, will my dwarf craft bonus apply to an improvised thing, like a metal flask turned into a bomb?
RuthRogan, RuthRogan, she's as strong as a fightin' man!
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Ok Isidar's knows that the safe(at least the outer shell) is not made out of steel . Rather well known metal to those who craft weapons that smash or cleave other weapons in half or worse by the name of Adamantine See DMG page 283 . When she looks at the combination lock it is made of the same material . And on looking at the door if it was actually opened then it is extremely well fitted that it seems as if almost air would not escape from it or into it .
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

This is a combination lock- it's going to be hard to pick.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

To Van:

On Sara trying to find traps she find none . On trying to Open the lock she finds that it is beyond her current skill to open it .

On the question using gunpowder to blast the safe open the following must be kept in mine:
1.Sara is not an expert explosives expert .
2.Even if she used all of the gun powder on her from her guns it would not be enough to hurt the safe . Especially if it is explained to Sara that the safe is made out of an extremely strong material .
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Using Acid is normally a pretty good idea for getting through a metal object, but who knows since no one has tried that yet on the safe :twisted: .
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara will not use all the gunpowder she has to try to open the lock if Isidar explains to her how difficult this is. Especially knowing that a big explosion might be heard far away.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Sara will not use all the gunpowder she has to try to open the lock if Isidar explains to her how difficult this is. Especially knowing that a big explosion might be heard far away.
Right. I'll remind Roofdrak/the Wife-from-theBlack-Lagoon to post. Adamantine...that changes things!

We will get in that safe at some point. :azalin:

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

All Player Characters get 650 Exp total for the successful exploration of the first level of the caves and the journey to the cave . This should bring all current players up to second Level . I need updated character sheets from all players as soon as you can get it to me by E-Mail . You should have mine, if you have lost it just send me a PM and I will send you the address . Rolling for HP on leveling up Either take half max of Hit Points or a Random roll . Example is D4=2, D6=3,D8=4,D10=5, etc .
Roofdrak
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Roofdrak »

LSB- What time of day is it when we all return to the village?
RuthRogan, RuthRogan, she's as strong as a fightin' man!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Yay level up! :D
- W H A T ! ? !
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Probably Evening by the time the party gets back to the village . Unless someone can point out by page Number of IC that it would be earlier or latter than that . Like I said it was a certain time you got to the cave etc.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

LEVEL UP! SWEET!

Is this a chapter break? Seems like a good spot for one.

My comment about Dalorna talking to the others isn't meant to delay any scene shift. We can always summarize what info our characters would have shared, if anything. I'm sure plenty of things happen 'off screen' after all.