Comments/suggestions on Jester's rules (5e)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Comments/suggestions on Jester's rules (5e)

Post by Zilfer »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
TheSalemlord wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote: Someone else slipped in the zombie lord. I gave it a 30-second look (mostly for formatting) but not much.
That someone was me :P .
I believe the ZL should be in the "Hard" range boss type monster. (thinking of Marcel d'Tarascon, mostly). So I wanted to make him deadly, just like in the old 2nd edition; but that is more of a personal taste.
That philosophy permeated the 3rd Party monster book Fifth Edition Foes. They rounded down to the nearest CR. I've been doing that as well. If the challenge falls between two numbers I'll round down.

Players are smart and can be durable if they want, and can take down far superior foes with a mix of cunning and good tactics (or sneakiness).
Also part of being a DM is determining whether your group can or can't handle said stated creature regardless of whether they are CR 3 and the players are level 5.... I've had plenty of times because a monster had a specific ability it made the group have a much harder time killing the creature. :azalin: Anyways good work thus far it seems jester. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

TheSalemlord wrote: That someone was me :P .
I believe the ZL should be in the "Hard" range boss type monster. (thinking of Marcel d'Tarascon, mostly). So I wanted to make him deadly, just like in the old 2nd edition; but that is more of a personal taste.
First, I liked what you did with the ZLord, with the exception that I believe the aura should do 1d10 instead of 1d6. With just 1d6 the ZLord would be better served to slam foes even if he's surrounded by 5 people.

Second, I understand that you wanted to make him deadly. I liked it. I just commented that he was, in fact, more difficult to beat than the numbers showed.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Toben the many:
OK, I was thinking about Toben's disease for days and I decided I actually want some feedback cause I can't be sure I'll do it justice.

Here's what I've been thinking:
Con DC 13 after the encounter if you've been striken by Toben, were uncareful with him, touched the zombie or a freshly destroyed body etc etc.
A single check, perhaps with disadvantage if you had lots of exposure. Not many to bog it down like with mummy rot that it's blow after blow.

The disease itself:
After you catch it, next day you start having the fever (1st lvl of exhaustion). After that, daily rolls, DC 13 con saves. Each failed save causes 1 level of exhaustion. 2 successful saves in a row and you're rid of the disease, but you don't get back exhaustion levels till you get rid of the disease.
At level 3, the grinning starts. At that point, you start being contagious yourself (rolls with advantage though).
Once you die from the disease, you turn to a Toben zombie within 2d6 minutes.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Can someone please help me edit Toben? I would like the image to be wrapped with the text and if possible the "Grinning Fever" description of the disease to be put in a sidebar or something.
My DMGuild work!
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

alhoon wrote:Can someone please help me edit Toben? I would like the image to be wrapped with the text and if possible the "Grinning Fever" description of the disease to be put in a sidebar or something.
Changed the image of Toben.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

thanks
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:Can someone please help me edit Toben? I would like the image to be wrapped with the text and if possible the "Grinning Fever" description of the disease to be put in a sidebar or something.
Google docs is great for sharing info, but poor for formatting. I'll eventually download and make some pretty PDFs, but that'll be when things look done.

Updated grinning fever to be more in line with existing diseases:
Grinning Fever. This magical disease is unique to Toben zombies, and allows the Toben entity presence to spread its control.
Creatures exposed to this disease must make a DC 13 Constitution save or become infected. Non-humans (such as dwarves, goblins, elves) have advantage on this saving throw.
The disease is accompanied by fever and gradual retraction of the lips and eyelids, locking the expression of diseased person into a mad grin. An infected creature suffers 1 level of exhaustion. When an infected creature has 3 or more levels of exhaustion, their mouth is locked in the tell-tale grin.
At the end of each long rest, the infected creature make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. On a failure they gain 1 level of exhaustion. On a success the creature's level of exhaustion is reduced by 1 level. When the creature succeeds on two consecutive saving throws while they have no levels of exhaustion, they are cured.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

thank you too!
Do you think it's OK? What you posted here is actually how I wanted the disease. Do you want the disease like that too?
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:thank you too!
Do you think it's OK? What you posted here is actually how I wanted the disease. Do you want the disease like that too?
I'd have to compare it to the original again, or think of unique mechanics to consider changing it. But it works, and that takes priority.
Jander Sunstar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jander Sunstar »

Jester of the FoS wrote: I'm mostly focused on getting monsters down at the moment, and doing their mechanics and numbers. After doing several dozen monsters, I should have a better idea for how they work and the nuances of 5e monster design.
Then I can fine tune the document, using the newly learned design skills.

Hey Jester,
How's the monsters coming along? Any chance of an update?
Jester of the FoS

Jander Sunstar wrote:Hey Jester,
How's the monsters coming along? Any chance of an update?
Life's been keeping me busy of late, so I haven't added many. But I have some more free time next week and will likely make some good progress on the monsters then.

It's the furies really. I hit "F" and stalled wondering if I should do two statblocks or one.

If you have a particular monster you'd like to see and want me to prioritize, let me know. I can do requests.
Jander Sunstar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jander Sunstar »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
If you have a particular monster you'd like to see and want me to prioritize, let me know. I can do requests.

*Wrings his hands in anticipation*

Well, I would like to see a 5E version of Strahd Zombies/Skeletons...
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

I think the racial vampire variants (elf, dwarves, halflings, kender...) are one of the distinctive monster types of RL that deserve priority.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jander Sunstar wrote:[
Well, I would like to see a 5E version of Strahd Zombies/Skeletons...
Ehh... they're already there. :)

Personally, I'm writing up Lady Kazandra. Should have her up and running soon
My DMGuild work!
Jander Sunstar
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jander Sunstar »

alhoon wrote:
Personally, I'm writing up Lady Kazandra. Should have her up and running soon

You read my mind. I'm actually running a few sessions in Martira Bay. Can't wait to see what you got....