POVERO Campaign OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
User avatar
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by Metaflux »

I would like to create a new PC since I feel I'd be infringing on someone else's creation if I just up and played with their character.
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

RE site;

I'll look for one.

You can use an AD&D character sheet on MythWeavers. That should help a lot.

Plug in the attributes in the order you rolled and listed them above.

Write in the race you choose.

Write in the class you choose.

I'm going Basic/3E style with weapon proficiencies. If your class can use it, your dude can use wit without penalty. Don't worry about slots. Single class fighters get weapon spec in just one weapon for free.

Saving throws are something I can provide a link to. It's pretty simple, though, just look at a chart and plug in the numbers by class and level.

THAC0 is BaB expressed differently. You still roll a D20 to hit.

Armor class goes down as it gets better.

Hit points will start at max for first level.

Alignment isn't different than 3E.

That leaves equipment, skills, and spell if those apply.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

Metaflux wrote:I would like to create a new PC since I feel I'd be infringing on someone else's creation if I just up and played with their character.
No problem.


You can play a new guy sent in by the Savelle family to help recover Richard Savelle, or else by the Watch or maybe the other city guilds.
Somebody who has a good reason to help the party against the villain.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chania or Athens // Greece

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by alhoon »

Welcome!

An important thing about 2e, especially in this combat-light game: Skill checks are against a DC equal to the ability usually.

I.e. if you have str 11 and you need to make a str check, usually it's "roll 11 or less". Some things put modifiers in.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
User avatar
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chania or Athens // Greece

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by alhoon »

Adam wrote: He gestures to a passing guard, asking for coffee to shake the last corners of sleep from his mind.
:shock:
Is coffee around? And if it is, isn't it insanely expensive?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
User avatar
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:53 am
Location: Italy // Greece

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by VAN »

Welcome aboard Metaflux, hope you enjoy rhe gaming with us :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
User avatar
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by Metaflux »

So...I pmed about this, but I figure I'll put the character creation stuff in the thread to make matters easier. Looking at the 2e classes, I saw bard, and how it differentiates from the 3e and up bards. I do believe the 3.5 Fochlucan Bard PrC is a reference to it, and that PrC was a blast for me. Even from level 1. I was wondering, despite the required ability scores for the Bard class, if that was something I could build into in the future. I recognize that this character would probably die by level 5 or so since it is Ravenloft, but playing a Bard in this style has long been a goal for me.

The statistics required for a Bard would be 15/12/15/15/10/15. I currently have 9/11/11/17/10/10, and there is a vast difference between my set and the required set before. In this case, I would like to compromise. I take the required ability score set, and you give my character a penalty of sorts. Facial Disfigurations so I have to wear a mask, and people are somewhat repulsed. Maybe a leg is gone so my movement is impaired. These are just some examples, and you would choose the hindrance of my character.

Thoughts?

I'll be starting Human Thief, btw.
User avatar
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chania or Athens // Greece

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by alhoon »

Eh, there are kits in 2nd edition that you take at first leve, not prestige classes you can get into later, and ability scores don't increase (except by powerful magic). So... you're stuck with the class you start (except human that can, with difficulty, change to another class but it requires extremely high scores).
What I mean to say is that you can't "build" towards a class. You either have the required scores or not.


For example, I play Fild. A gnome fighter. That's it. Fild will be fighter for all his adventuring career.

PS. Povero is not Ravenloft. ;)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
User avatar
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by Metaflux »

Do you by any chance have a link to a 2e srd site? I don't currently have the books for it.
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

Right, the AD&D First Edition bard is a kind of proto-prestige class.

But the 2E bard is something you would normally start with.

Neither set qualifies for the 2E bard.

Options:

Play a thief and use the generous helping of freebie/extra skills from his 17 int to make a minstrel or entertainer type.
Note that I am de emphasizing kits, but I allow two fee slots of general group NWP.

Let me roll a third set for you (I did this for a couple of other guys) and see if that maybe isn't more to your liking.


Bbl...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Chania or Athens // Greece

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by alhoon »

Metaflux wrote:Do you by any chance have a link to a 2e srd site? I don't currently have the books for it.
Well, if you google "AD&D 2nd edition" you'll find something for sure. I can't provide links cause I'm not sure what's legal and what's not.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
Metaflux wrote:Do you by any chance have a link to a 2e srd site? I don't currently have the books for it.
Well, if you google "AD&D 2nd edition" you'll find something for sure. I can't provide links cause I'm not sure what's legal and what's not.
There is no SRD.

Not much is legal.

But the SSI games reprinted some of the core rules in their players guides, and those are available.

There are also some character generators.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

:gabrielle:
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]


[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
User avatar
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 28523
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Re: POVERO Campaign OOC

Post by ewancummins »

Image
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Post Reply