Staunton Bluffs Episode I: To the Borderstone

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

"I'm here" Jarryd says to Nicholas, kneeling beside him. "Tavian, please keep that thing busy while we help these two..." he screams to Tavian, hoping the rain and the houls of the beast do not smother the sound of his voice.

Right now Jarryd's heart is beating fast, the cold in his body is gone. He's afraid of Lodissio's life, the bridge and the big Monster behind him tearing his companions appart....He streches his arm towards Avra. "Take my hand....quick, we don't have much time..."
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Laying flat on his back, the world suddenly having shrunk to a peripheral state, he blinks.

Tears of pain sting his one eye, which is by now already swollen shut, and with the other he finds it hard to focus on anything but the raging heavens above.

Why were they angered so? What wrong, what sin did he or any of the others commit? Why them? Why us? Why him? Is it time? Was it time?

No answers would ever come to unasked questions.

Wha?...w-where?...unhhh...

He blinks again, trying to focus that one good eye, and finally after several attempts he manages to place himself back into the real world.

The partially frozen rain now seems like a blessing from above, and as a result he is able to lift his head and look around. It is only now that he notices how close he still is to that Devil.

His good eye widens in terror.

He tries frantically to backpedal, to create some distance between he and it, but his left arm fails him miserably. He howls in pain as it flops useless to the icy ground. He does manage however, with great effort, to use his legs and right arm to begin scrambling away.

It is simply amazing what fear will do to a man.
Last edited by Mad Skipper on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

A near-fatal mistake, Avra takes a moment to look back over his shoulder, and down below... His grip begins to loosen as vertigo overtakes him and the strength in his limbs starts to fail. And old mantra taught him by his Guru forms on his lips, undescipherable jibberish to those around him not native to his clime: "Let go the body and the soul will rise, let go the body and the soul will rise"... Visions of his soul rising into the heavens mingle with those of his body dahsed to pieces down below. An extasy starts to rise in him: he can let go...

But through the droning of his voice he hears a sudden cry: "... take my hand." His eyes shoot open and as his grip begins to fail him, Avra thrusts out his hand to grab hold of Jarrys', swallowing hard the dreadful bile rising to his throught. The acid taste burns on the way back down and he can feel a sudden wet warmth...

He reaches out for Jarrys and...
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana has her head down, eyes flicking from Avra to the slope looking frantically for a firm handhold, eagerly grabbing for any outstretched hands as they are offered, terror pulsing through her veins, but adrenaline just holding it in check.

"help... quick... Avra, hold on!"
Tavian
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Tavian »

By the cries of his friends, Tavian knows his tactics are working. The creature is injured. But now, facing the beast which tossed around Stocker like a rag doll, he knows that the same treatment on his smaller body would be fatal. Still, Tavian knows that he must make a stand or they will all die. He digs in and again sends a blue bolt of flame hurling towards the reeling creature.

Fighting defensively, Tavian fires another Eldritch Blast at the beast.

OOC: I'll get you a full description of the blast when I get home tonight.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Jarryd catches Avra's hand in the last possible moment ever, just a glimpse before the monk would have fallen into the silent depths...

Now, finally, the chain between Avra, Shana, Nicholas and Jarryd seems to hold. If Tavian and Stocker could keep the giant away just one moment longer, Avra might climb up...

Tavian's last blast of energy hits the beast again, throwing it on the knees again. The monster barks like a wolf, bit still seems far from being seriously affected... Those magic missiles won't keep it down much longer...
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Climbing. :shock: Avra does nothing but climb and pray and mutter blessings from the gods onto his friends...
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

"That was close..." Jarryd sighs as Avra releases his arm. The rain seems to cool his body down, his arm still numb from the effort. With a quick turn he grabs Shana and drags her to safety too.

The rain still falls hard and is hard to hear anything else than the roars of the creature. "We should help our wounded companion..." he shouts, not expecting an answer. "Please! if Avra and the Lady could take care of Lodissio, Nicholas and I will help our wounded friend". Jarryd hopes his suggestion is taken well. Giving instructions to people is not something he's fond of, and may make him unpopular among his newly found companions. However it's a matter of life and death for two of them and they have to act fast.

"C'mon Nicholas, help me help our friend.."
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana observes the fact that Lodissio is on the bridge, a good distance from the looming horror.

"I'm on it!"

She dashes onto the bridge, and starts tugging Lodissio frantically along the bridge
Le Noir Faineant

[Does someone of you help Tavian and Stocker in their desperate battle? - And what about Alain?]
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

With Nicholas and Jarrys helping him, Avra (I assume) manages to climb up, though he has no time to rest. He Sees the battle still raging and goes to draw his sword but realizes it is beyond his reach... He hears Jarrys shoult out commands and seeing Shana run off towards the bridge and looking back at him, he undertsands that he is meant to follow.

"We'll take care of Lodissios. You two help Stocker and Thavian... They won't last very long alone."

CapN
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by CapN »

I'll join the fight.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Once Alain get the young girl to a safe spot(most likely on the bridge near Lodissio) He looks back and see's the ensuing battle and does the most unlikley course of action for a bard.
He draws his long sword and makes his way to join the fight as fast as he can without dangering himself to the bridge itself.
Once clear of the bridge, he charges into battle to help his comrades.
Le Noir Faineant

[Do Alain and Nathan actually come near the beast, or do they stay away and use distance weapons? - Just to remind you that the giant is still powerful enough to crush everything near him, if you come into his range. - The giant, rid of additional missiles flying against him, will try to come on his feet as fast as he can.]
Tavian
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Tavian »

If I see the giant start to come after me I'm taking off full speed at an angle that would allow others to intercept it from the sides/rear. Until then, I will continue to use my Eldritch Blast on it.