How do you manage your eagerness?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

How do you manage your eagerness?

Post by WolfKook »

I really have a problem when DMing Ravenloft... I'm just a little too eager for things to happen, and I usually end up spoiling the suspense too soon.

Last session, for example, my players were involved in a haunted house mistery, and they knew they had three days to solve it before something really bad happened. I did not control myself, however, and ended up making so many things happen that they had it pretty much solved at the end of the first day, and now they just have to wait till the third day to do what they have to do... Not near as thrilling as I would want it to be.

But, while I figure out how to repair the damage before (tonight's) next session, what I really want to know is how do you fellow DMs control yourselves from giving away too much in too little time, or from forcing things to happen before they really have to. That's my real problem.

Thanks in advance, guys 8)
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Hmmm... Good question. I really like the face of my players when they find out something.
My other problem is that I'm not really good at poker faceing, so I end up hiding my 66-theet smiles behind the DM screen. :D

My method is, mainly, telling myself to get a grip. Not joking.
Say with me: "Getagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagripgetagrip..." :lol:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Self-control, like any other. Just biting your tongue with the knowledge that as cool as it is now, it'll be 10x cooler later.

Making rigid plot outlines is one way. Making a strong timeline and sticking to it regardless of what else happens.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Giving the adventure a modular structure can help. By that, I mean you make up a bare-bones plotline of things that have to happen, then dream up a half-dozen or so complications and lucky breaks that could crop up along the way, but aren't strictly necessary.

If the players move faster than you expect, add enough complications to the story to keep them occupied, and let these "red herrings" distract them from secrets it's too early for their PCs to uncover. If they move more slowly, pick the one or two complications which are most unique to this scenario, and save the more generic/lootable ones to use in some other adventure. If they crawl along like snails, save the complications for future use, and grant them a bit of luck to get things back on track instead.

BTW, if you're really out of ideas to pad out your adventure for tonight, consider changing the finale altogether. The villain you'd initially chosen might not be the real source of the threat, the curse the PCs much foil could have a caveat that means their actions only make things worse, and so on. The players don't know the nature of your original plot idea, so changing it between sessions is possible, even if it's not something a DM should make a habit of.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ancalagon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ancalagon »

Self-discipline consideration for your players is a good place to start. By giving up too much too soon, you do your players a disservice by not allowing them enjoy the tone of the game and basically handing them whatever it is you planned for the PCs to discover on their own in due time.

Don't beat yourself up for it. Every Dm has done it at least once. Just learn from, don't repeat your mistake and become a better DM for it.
You can't have S-L-A-U-G-H-T-E-R without L-A-U-G-H-T-E-R.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I have a bad habit of coming up with ideas I think are really, really cool, then absolutely having to talk about it. So what I find works best is to find a friend who's a gamer but not in my campaign, and I tell them about it. Not only does it usually relieve my need to talk about this great idea I have, but sometmies they can suggest improvements, or point out and fix plot holes.