Page 82 of 146
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:14 pm
by Kaitou Kage
Something I should point out.
Lia (and others) can't be Weakened (save ends) 3 times and have to save against each one.
There was a rules clarification posted, among other things, in PHB3 (p222-223) that says if you are attacked and receive a (save ends) effect, then you are attacked again and receive an identical (save ends) effect, you ignore the second one since you are already subject to it.
The example says "If you are subjected to identical effects that a save can end, including ongoing damage, you ignore all but one of those effects. For example, if you are dazed (save ends) and then you are attacked and again dazed (save ends), you ignore the second effect, since it is identical to the effect you are already subject to.
"You never make multiple saving throws against idetnical effects. You do, however, make separate saving throws against effects that aren't identical, even if they contain the same condition. For example, dazed (save ends) and dazed and immobilized (save ends both) are not identical effects, so you must make separate saving throws."
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:22 pm
by Cronax
Very interesting. Thanks Nerit. I think I'll try directing some of his decisions based on the readings. By the end of the campaign, we'll see how that works out.
Good catch on the (save ends) Kage.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 pm
by NeoTiamat
Hmm. I had not known that, but then I don't have PHB3. Alright, I'll take off the Weaken from Lia, I think, since she already made some saves. I believe she's the only one that's been hit heavily with the multi-saves, or am I missing someone?
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm
by Nerit
I checked the PHB3 and compared it to PHB1. The problem, I think, is there's some fuzzy language in there

.
PHB1 (p279) wrote:Each round, at the end of your turn, you roll a saving throw against each effect on you. Sometimes an effect is a single condition or one type of ongoing damage (page 278). Another kind of effect is like an imp’s hellish poison, which includes both ongoing poison damage and a –2 penalty to Will defense. You don’t make separate saving throws against the ongoing poison damage and the Will defense penalty; you make a single saving throw each round against the hellish poison itself.
So that's why the devs had to clarify, without, you know, advertising it? Bah.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm
by NeoTiamat
This reminds me of 3rd edition so very much.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm
by Cronax
We're in a rough spot, so I think we'll need a coordinated plan to get through this.
What has everyone got left in terms of expendable resources (items, powers, etc)?
Mr. Agale is packing 2 more power points (probably in the form of a super-mind thrust) and also a distract (CA for someone)
We've got a number of bloodied things hanging around. Focused fire is our friend.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 pm
by yalenusveler
I have a ranged 5 power that does 1d8+6, and will give DR 3 to everyone adjacent to my spirit companion until the end of my next turn. I also have a minor action that will create a burst 5 zone until the end of the encounter inside which all allies get +1 to hit.
Also, do not forget the regenerate 2 while bloodied may, as a minor action, be cashed in for 10 hp healed.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
I think we are doing pretty well, really...not that we necessarily want to stick around and make a clean sweep, and Tomas is certainly in an awkward position, but we've downed one of our big bads and have made a lot of progress on others.
I have one damage reducing power (for 7 hp), one teleport (5 squares and +2 to hit if I end next to an enemy), one ranged force attack (immobilizes), and one tactical power (W damage, secondary attack to push all adjacent enemies 2 squares from main target). In other words, not much. I am presently thinking of teleporting next to AM again and whacking her with Frigid Blade (at will, that one)...it won't do that much to her, given her insubstantiality, but it gets me closer to the door for making a run for it and may let Cyrus flank her again.
This will involve taking the secondary damage from her Wrath power, but I don't wanna just stand around next to all those wraiths. So I'm thinking I'll just have to take the hit.
Can we help Tomas get out of his fix somehow?
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 pm
by DocBeard
I'll be fine for a few rounds, just keep Agale up.
We need people to get up here because reinforcements are just going to keep coming until we get enough people preforming arcana or religion checks inside the circle. I did my sanction bomb to try and clear some space in the circle for people.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:16 pm
by The Whistler
I'm out of area effects, but I've got one encounter power that immobilizes, and a daily weapon effect that adds some extra damage and dazes. I've actually got a decent at-will that lets me keep making secondary attacks on different targets if my luck holds, which might be some help getting rid of the minions.
Doc, what do we actually need to do to close off the dimensional death-valve thing? I can head up there if I need to, but Celeste is seriously not built for up-close dangertime.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 pm
by yalenusveler
If we thin out the minions, it should make things easier. I'm about to set up a +1 to attacks zone.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
by NeoTiamat
Quick clarification as a result of DMly miscommunication.
In order to help contain the Death-pool Energies, you need to be at the Ritual Circle (that is, in a square through which the circle passes), and make either a Religion, a Nature, or an Arcana check as a Standard Action.
When enough people do this for enough rounds, the pool's energy will be contained.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
by Cronax
We're going to have to deal with the circle one way or another. But first, we need to clear the road
. From some of the knowledge checks, I've learned that the ice minions explode when killed, the seething ones have an aura that makes melee engagement not a good idea, and the moon ones can throw down weaken and daze.
I think we'd do best by finishing off AM and the wounded southern wraiths first. The sooner they drop, the sooner their attacks end.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 pm
by Kaitou Kage
Darius and Cyrus can flank AM pretty easily, but we are sitting in wait until tomorrow to post.
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 am
by Rock of the Fraternity
I'm all out of encounter and daily powers, best I can offer is at-will Magic Missile and Cloud of Daggers - but the big benefit is that they have great range, so if you all point me at the best targets to cause to explode, I can probably still be helpful.