Page 17 of 146

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am
by Nathan of the FoS
DocBeard wrote:You might wonder, 'How did Eisenwald fit that big old hammer under his costume's lab coat.' but that is, unfortunately, classified information.
He had it well-adjusted. :lucas:

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:20 am
by NeoTiamat
I love flurries of well-meaning activity.

Alright, let's see.... Tomas and Cyrus are going with Katja, and Celeste, Agale, Kerrian, and Lia are staying at the party. Nerit is in absentia again.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:30 pm
by DocBeard
I like how Agale's language gets subtly more formal when he's caught off guard, Cronax. Nice touch, there.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 pm
by Cronax
err.. I hadn't even consciously noticed I was doing that.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 am
by Nerit
Yay, I'm back (mostly). Another essay and a final, but I have more free time now that classes are over.

A few notes:

P31 - I think the word Whistler was looking for was contrapposto :)?

And sorry for the language I keep sneaking in. I can't help it. The foreigners all have to express themselves!

I'm really fascinated by vae, actually. It supports the academic pronunciation, being a close guess of the classical Latin. V=W, essentially. I so do not approve of Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation.

Julius Caesar sounded like Iulius Kaiser! "Wehnee, Weedee, Wiki!"

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:00 am
by Nathan of the FoS
Nerit wrote: It supports the academic pronunciation, being a close guess of the classical Latin. V=W, essentially. I so do not approve of Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation.

Julius Caesar sounded like Iulius Kaiser! "Wehnee, Weedee, Wiki!"
How very English of you. :lucas:

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:22 am
by NeoTiamat
This sheds new light on the Life of Brian, it really does.

Though I've been hearing the C=K for ages. Cicero would've been Kikero, I think.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 am
by Rock of the Fraternity
If these pronunciations are going to be accepted as official, a lot of the older scholars are going to be double-checking themselves in conversation.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:46 am
by Kaitou Kage
Will be posting soon, trying to get a short paper finished.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:10 pm
by DocBeard
err.. I hadn't even consciously noticed I was doing that.
Oh, well, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything; I thought it was a subtle way of showing either Agale's lack of experience with speaking Mordentish or just imply more about the character by showing how he uses formality as a shield in tense situations.

And speaking of tense situations, who's running bets that the doxie's growing hysteria is a sign of something more sinister?

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:19 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
DocBeard wrote:And speaking of tense situations, who's running bets that the doxie's growing hysteria is a sign of something more sinister?
If it were real life, I would put my money on late-stage syphilis. In D&D, well, it could be anything. :P

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:05 am
by The Whistler
Nerit wrote:P31 - I think the word Whistler was looking for was contrapposto :) ?
Yep! It's amazing how much Wikipedia can help when you're attempting to fake your character's background in art history. :-P Granted, it was easier to pull a reference to Italian renaissance sculpture when I could basically make up most of what the statue looked like in the first place. ("That totally looks like a Michaelangelo! Because you haven't explicitly said that it doesn't yet!")

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 pm
by Nerit
NeoTiamat wrote:This sheds new light on the Life of Brian, it really does.

Though I've been hearing the C=K for ages. Cicero would've been Kikero, I think.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:15 pm
by NeoTiamat
Favorite clip from that movie, hands down. It gains added hilarity when you've had to study Latin. :D

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:41 am
by Kaitou Kage
Posting rate may be diminished for the next week as I attempt to write my final papers.