Page 23 of 146
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:16 pm
by Cronax
Though I still am curious, who would try and assassinate Andre??
Anyone who has a beef with his crazy fey goddess.
Members of the featherflute's court.
James the Werejackal
'Sandre' (the yet unaccounted for shadow duplicate of Andre)
And I'm sure plenty more from EoA before I started reading it.
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 am
by DocBeard
And that's just the enemies he's made before the ten year gap...
Feedback
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:53 pm
by Nerit
I'm not doing this for the points, really, just reflecting on the first book.
We all know it had a slow start, and we've all been busy. I really don't feel connected to the main plot at the moment. Of course it has to do with my character's personality and motivations. Doc has gone over this, and for me it felt like tagging along in a sort of random "tourist sleuth game!" I think next time, if we follow a hook too early, don't put it out so far, draw it back, add more detail, etc, so it's a more solid motivation for PCs. I'm new here, so I'm basically a sheep following everyone else until I get some proper footing.
The good news is I'm totally into the background/history that my character's been dealing with. I'm praying that ties into the main plot somehow, because then my character will really get involved. The bad news is without a connection this could lead toward a very isolated character, more so than she is now.
For NPCs, it was very jumbled. I still can't get all the NPCs straight even with a guide. Again, wasn't here, no idea who the EoA characters are. I have my own favorites and intend to interact with them when I get the right chance. The random NPCs and various nobles and interviewees were also hard to keep track of. Something about turtles.
Combat. Absent, as stated. So you were rushing? We had a lot of chances for encounters. In the catacombs, in the gallery after the robbery...I was really planning on combat for character development and was disappointed that it never happened. Can only hope for the future.
In total, I like SC so far but it's certainly been bumpy. I'm happy with the character I chose, but she's often quiet because of the way things go with the other PCs.
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 pm
by Kaitou Kage
This chapter was pretty rough. I can't quite place my finger on why but things felt kind of disjointed to me. I think you could've easily split this into two chapters and still gotten an effect just as good, if not better. There was a lot of false climax. I thought finding about the theft was going to be pretty much the first chapter. Then I feel like it ended pretty abruptly. For my part, I had no idea the end of the chapter was coming at all. Everything felt kind of spread thin.
I think there should've been a definite combat, and I think several opportunities presented themselves. I fully expected to be ambushed at the original crime scene by some sort of magical sentinel left by the Big Bad. It would've been a perfect time. All the PCs were present and the tension had built up to a great point. I also expected to be jumped in the catacombs. To make it through the entire chapter without an actual "combat situation" felt a little deflating. Like Nerit, I was planning on it for some character development and when it never came up, I was left feeling confused and unsatisfied.
With the NPCs, I'm starting to see both positives and negatives. On the one hand, they're good for fleshing out the setting and providing exposition. On the other, in my opinion a D&D game should be about the PCs first and I think some of the friendly NPCs are starting to hedge in on the spotlight. I recall getting annoyed with Thierri during the investigation phase because he'd just automagically accomplish some things I felt should be for PCs. Also I wonder if the supporting cast of regulars may be too large. I think you could have accomplished a solid effect with a smaller cast.
I like watching Lemercier and Petrik go back and forth. It's charming to watch them argue. Also, it's fun to watch some of the women's reactions to Cyrus. Speaking of Cyrus, the conflict between him and Canderli was actually quite interesting for me as a player. I don't normally play typically antagonistic characters (and I'm not going to be completely antagonistic the whole game, really), so it was nice to have a change of pace when dealing with her.
It's still too early to tell for a lot of other NPCs. Cerise amuses me, I want to punch Thierri in the face, but the others haven't come out over the radar for me just yet.
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:12 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
So, I have gone home for the holidays to see my little sister get married (yay!), have a cold, (boo!) and celebrate Christmas (yay!). So, y'know, you will not see much of me 'til next Tuesday or so. I will do my best to keep my hand in and make some progress on the project I got all your names and totems for, but I can't promise much.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 pm
by DocBeard
Nerit: Sorry, I don't have your AIM or e-mail, or I'd have tried to get you in on the quick sojurn. We did it in a marathon side-RP the other evening.
If you'd rather Tomas be a rude jerk, he can, but I figured it'd be more IC for Tomas to convey his very real fears about what might happen at the Chateau and ask that Nerit assist with a few things that I'm being vague about for suspense's sake. (It occurs to me that Nerit might not be 'that kind of priest' either, but Tomas wouldn't know that.) I'm saying this here because Neo mentioned wanting to segway to the next morning soon, and I didn't want to hold the boss man up.
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:22 pm
by Rock of the Fraternity
Nathan of the FoS wrote:So, I have gone home for the holidays to see my little sister get married (yay!), have a cold, (boo!) and celebrate Christmas (yay!). So, y'know, you will not see much of me 'til next Tuesday or so. I will do my best to keep my hand in and make some progress on the project I got all your names and totems for, but I can't promise much.

Congrats on your sister, man. ^^ For the cold: eat kiwis!
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 pm
by Nerit
No problem, Doc, do what Tomas would do naturally. I'll talk to Neo

.
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:14 am
by Nerit
Super duper lame post, but happy holidays! I'll be around for sure but might not post on the 25th, eh? Also Nathan, if Kage doesn't catch you, us 3 should RP! I can explain on AIM when you're free.
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:49 am
by lostboy
Hey everyone, finally got work and overly complicated maps out the way so can actually join in this game at last yay!
Happy Christmas eveyrone BTW!

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:38 pm
by Isabella
Part of me wants to know if the little accent over the "e" in "Révolution" is also carved in Nick's chest.
[Liberté, égalité, fraternité, and proper spelling! And also a Merry Christmas, peoples who celebrate (and even who don't)]
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:48 pm
by lostboy
Indeed it is! Remeber nothing says Psycho quite like proper spelling and grammer when youre carving messages into people.....

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:28 pm
by Rock of the Fraternity
Merry Christmas, my friends. ^^ And if you don't celebrate it ... I'll still wish you one.
Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:42 pm
by NeoTiamat
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays one and all!
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:51 pm
by NeoTiamat
Announcement!
The Shattered City campaign will be beginning Chapter Two either late on January 1st or sometime on January 2nd, depending on the status of the relevant hangovers.