Page 55 of 146

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:57 pm
by Isabella
An immediate interrupt is, well, immediate. Since it is an interrupt, it occurs right before the triggering action takes place (hence, interrupts), so in this case, it would happen right before the ally was hit with the attack. You don't have to do anything on your turn to activate it. Instead, it uses something called an immediate action. It's kind of like your normal actions (move, minor, standard) except that you use them on other people's turns. Immediate actions are what allow you to take AoOs, as well as activating immediate reaction powers. You only get one immediate action per turn, so if you use an immediate interrupt power, you can't use another or take AoOs until your turn rolls around again.

The format of the board game makes immediate actions a little weird, which is probably why you got confused. Basically, you can either run the immediate action by telling us you intend to use it in your post (so, for example, Lia tells us she wants to use her Shield if she's hit by an attack it would be able to prevent) OR you can let us know you used it after the fact, and what it did (for example, Darius activates his shield and negates some damage).

Please please please PLEASE do not use immediate interrupts that will completely change the entire GM combat post if you hit with it.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 pm
by Isabella
Nerit wrote:It still looks like a helluva lot more than 10, no matter how you slice it :P. About 12-14 squares.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I count it.

Image

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm
by Cronax
Isa wrote:Immediate actions are what allow you to take AoOs
I know I'm going to be flogged later for being a rules stickler, but, while similar, Immediate Actions and Opportunity Actions are distinct and do not use up each other. :lol: You get one Immediate action between each of your turns and one Opportunity Action for each other creature's turn in the battle (including allies, though that rarely comes up).

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm
by Nathan of the FoS
Effects in 4e are not bonded by the geometry of mere earthlings! :lucas:

In terms of distance, Nerit is roughly 70 feet from Kerrian. But because most of it is diagonal distance, the effect still reaches.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm
by NeoTiamat
Non-Headache-Inducing-Maps > Geometry

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm
by DocBeard
Why do you think Boccob "retired" anyway? He kept going on about feet and inches and yards until Gruumish just ate his head.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 pm
by yalenusveler
Thanks Doc, from now on when someone asks me why the Greyhawk deities aren't the standard for 4e, I'm just going to say "Gruumsh ate their heads"

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm
by The Whistler
Post coming in about an hour, folks! It will be...involved.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm
by NeoTiamat
Could you give me at least the mechanical information first so I can get started? I have to wake up early-ish tomorrow so I want to get kicking. :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm
by Nerit
Isabella wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I count it.
Don't worry, I'm an idiot and I wasn't counting from Kerrian's new space. CRISIS AVERTED.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 am
by lostboy
Thanks Isy for the explanation.

And dont worry the interrupt i had in mind simply reduces damage one ally takes from a hit, which shouldnt be too earth-shattering I hope....

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 am
by lostboy
*strategy meeting*

If he makes the save Nicholas is thinking about pulling out a close burst 3 power that can push the target (i.e) the water weird thing, 2 squares and slide any allies 2 squares each.

Any objections and where (if at all) do you want to be slid? If he shifts 1 square back that should mean Cyrus / Darius / Tomas & Nerit.

Oh and as long as he hits Poincaire gets dazed as well.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:26 am
by Nerit
Ow. Yay for 1 HP! If no one has any options I can spend Initiate of the Faith on myself/Second Wind.

@lostboy: All allies in the area slide? Sliding away from the enemies would be nice, maybe. :P

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 am
by Kaitou Kage
lostboy wrote:*strategy meeting*

If he makes the save Nicholas is thinking about pulling out a close burst 3 power that can push the target (i.e) the water weird thing, 2 squares and slide any allies 2 squares each.

Any objections and where (if at all) do you want to be slid? If he shifts 1 square back that should mean Cyrus / Darius / Tomas & Nerit.

Oh and as long as he hits Poincaire gets dazed as well.
Cyrus can fire lasers but he's really much, much better when he's in melee. So he would prefer to be closer to an enemy.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:45 am
by The Whistler
I don't know if the DMs said so--did the Water Weird make its save against the sliding effect from Reeling Torment? If not, where would you guys like me to shove it? I can move it up to three squares.