The thirteen Counts Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The thirteen Counts Strahd

Post by Mistmaster »

Recently I have watched several Doctor Who episodes and so I started to think what if Strahd rejuvenation in his coffin after having been killed would work like Time Lords's Regeneration, partially? Partially, because Strahd phisical appearance would change only marginally, enought to corroborate the idea it's a son who succeed him; but his personality, while fundamentally the same would change too; This could allow different interpretation of the character.

Strahd I the Devil, (Before vampirization) the Count-King of Barovia, enbittered by a long campaign against the Tergs Strahd the I while alive was a strong ruler and a dabbler of the Dark Arts;

Strahd I the Devil (After vampirization) was a cruel and violent tyrant who fought a long excuciating war against the treacherous house of Dilisnya, getting himself slayed in an elaborated trap by Leo Dilisnya.

Strahd II the Unexpected succeeded his "father" after the latter "death" against Leo Dilisnya. He got revenge for his father and dedicated his reign to pacify the boyars . He was assassinated by his wife's brother the day after his second marriage;

Strahd III the Conqueror appeared as a young man and after avenging his father started a series of military campaigns which made Barovia a huge nation with large swathes of Invidian, Gundarakite, Forfarian and Borcan land; After his death during his campaign in Lazendrak, killed by Night King Ezekielm he was succeded by his eldest "son" Strahd IV.

Strahd IV the Grim abandoned his "father's" conquests and dedicated his long reign to the search of a bride, and to weed out opposition; he is remembered as a detached King, and under his reign Castle Ravenloft started to fall in ruin, as the Kingdom of Barovia closed itself to the world, Strahd IV was killed by assassins sent by rebel boyars.

Strahd V the Repentant or the Alchemist is remembered as one of the kindest ruler of Barovia, he dedicated his life to enbetter Barovian people life; he was the one Strahd who went closer to break his curse, but the Fiend Inajira tried to take advantage by Strahd's repentance, and claim his soul, killing his third wife Illyana in the meanwhile; Illyana's death and Strahd's rage destroyed the fragile humanity the Count King had just restored in himself; Officially Strahd V perished that day, heroically slaying an evil fiend.

Strahd VI, the Cunning or Friend of Vistani, was allegedly a cousin of his precedessor; he was a lot less benevolent then his "cousin" was but he restored Castle Ravenloft to its previos glory and signed the treaty with the Vistani Zarovan Tribe which allowed Barovian Trade to flourish. Strahd VI was killed by an headless woman.

Strahd VII, the Rich, allegedly the son of the previous Count-King, was particularly involved in Barovia economics, reformed the taxation system and encouraged merchantile activities; his long reign was ended, apparently, by robbers who managed to steal Barovia's regalia.

Strahd VIII, the Mercyless, "son" of the previous one returned to insulation in Castle Ravenloft, enforcing draconian law against criminality and ruling with an iron fist in a velvet glove; he was killed by "bandits" and succeded by his "son".

Strahd IX, the Silent, was never seen or heard by his subjects with few exception, he kept his kingdom going smoothly, but infrastructure and buildings decaded after his long reign, Castle Ravenloft included; he died allegedly peacefully in his bed, his "grandson" succeeded him.

Strahd X, the Wise, was the best ruler in Barovian history under him, Castle Ravenloft was rebuilded to his former glory the borders were opened, population soared and trade flourished, Strahd X was convinced that doing good would have allowed him to get his beloved once and for all; As such he became the patron of many great heroes financing the good fight all across the Core; it was during his reign that an exiled wizard called Firan Zal'holan, code name Azalin Rex; after a good relationship beetwen the two, Azalin discovered that his benefactor was a vampire; theyr relatioship deteriorated when Azalin's curiosity got him in the middle of the love triangle beetwen Strahd, Sergey's ghost and Tatyana's reincarnation and his interference killed the girl; Strahd the wise died that day, and his golden age ended, starting the age of the worst Count-King in Barovian history.

Strahd XI, the Cursed, supposed son and heir of Strahd X, he was a cruel, manipolative and machiavellian ruler, who kept Barovia in a state of fear and anguish; he was notorious for playing sadistic jokes and trying to corrupt innocent peoples, surrounding himself with undead and evil creatures and under his rule the people revolted, and he was killed by his own "son"

Strahd XII the Restorer, is slowly making people forget his "father's" rule, restoring Barovia to the glory of his "grandfather's" age; why he is an harder man the Strahd the wise, and way more conservative, under Strahd XII Barovia has growed back toregional power level.
Last edited by Mistmaster on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The thirteen Counts Strahd

Post by ewancummins »

I might do the particulars differently, but the idea of vampiric regeneration appeals to me. I assume it's triggered by being staked without the rituals needed for final destruction, or similar almost-got-'im incidents. Your proposal allows all the various personalities and appearances of the character to be reconciled. Nice! I'd even allow for Dread Vampirate Strahd, just as bit of an inside joke.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Thanks, the idea was exactly reconciling the different takes on the character.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Cute idea. I agree it wouldn't be as drastic as the various Doctors, but it does get to the point that maybe we shouldn't be looking for a consistent character in someone who's lived for centuries. I'm not the same person I was even 10 or 20 years ago. Why should a vampire stay constant with his personality in his "young" 100 or 200's?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Does your Strahd have any control over how he will be next round? I feel like he ought to have some agency because that seems like the point of Darklords: they keep themselves jailed.

And which Strahd was the elven pirate captain?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mischief wrote:Does your Strahd have any control over how he will be next round? I feel like he ought to have some agency because that seems like the point of Darklords: they keep themselves jailed.

He has a modicum of control on his appearance; his personality, thought depends by the circumstances of his death, and until now the personality multiple of 5 are the good ones; and Pirate-Elf Strahd is like the War Doctor the Strahds pretends he never existed, probably he was born in the last years of Strahd IX reign.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:
Mischief wrote:Does your Strahd have any control over how he will be next round? I feel like he ought to have some agency because that seems like the point of Darklords: they keep themselves jailed.

He has a modicum of control on his appearance; his personality, thought depends by the circumstances of his death, and until now the personality multiple of 5 are the good ones; and Pirate-Elf Strahd is like the War Doctor the Strahds pretends he never existed, probably he was born in the last years of Strahd IX reign.
Definitely has possibilities and would explain why the Barovians don't suspect Strahd is undead. He looks alike enough for a family resemblance but different enough not to look like the same guy.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

brilliantlight wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:

Definitely has possibilities and would explain why the Barovians don't suspect Strahd is undead. He looks alike enough for a family resemblance but different enough not to look like the same guy.

And since Strahd sometimes abducts young, nubile women, it's easy enough for local people to assume these forced brides are the mothers of the next Von Zarovich generation.

Now somebody should write up a Gothic adventure in which a well-educated young lady has travelled from Mordentshire to serve as governess to the Count's "children."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Anna and the Count?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Mistmaster wrote:Anna and the Count?

Aha! I caught the reference, although I've never seen the movie. It was a musical theatre show first, wasn't it?

I was thinking more of Jane Eyre and of various Gothic heroines.

Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

It was born as an autobiographical book written by the tutular Anna Leonowens, the English Governess at the Siamese Court. Then in 1944 it became anovel, Anna and the King.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:Aha! I caught the reference, although I've never seen the movie. It was a musical theatre show first, wasn't it?
I was never really aware of the source material, but it eventually became the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, The King and I.