In the Mouth of Madness

Books, movies, television and everything else
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

In the Mouth of Madness

Post by Scipio »

Well, it's that time of year again, so I thought I'd ask about my fave horror movie, In the Mouth of Madness. Anyone here ever seen it? It's probably the only solid Lovecraftian flic I've ever seen.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Great film, though not one to watch stoned, apparently.

I liked Event Horizon better.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Yeah, but EH didn't have the mind trip of trying to figure out how much of the movie was in the character's mind.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I remember that movie. The best part is in the car, when they pass the kid on the bicycle, again and again and again...
Evil Reigns!!!!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Thats one of those movies you watch with a bottle of advil next to you. And Dr. Pepper, got to have Dr. Pepper.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I have oinly ever seen the second half to In the Mouth of Madness, but I do love Event Horizon. Those sort of movies are only second to the legendary Hellraiser 1 & 2.
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Scipio wrote:Well, it's that time of year again, so I thought I'd ask about my fave horror movie, In the Mouth of Madness. Anyone here ever seen it? It's probably the only solid Lovecraftian flic I've ever seen.
Great movie, although it has been a couple of years since I last had the chance to watch it. Necronomicon, however, is another good movie that deals with Lovecraft. I enjoyed the various segments (bsed on Lovecraft stories, and the overall premise (Lovecraft reading through the Necronomicon) is a rather inventive way to tell the tales.
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I have oinly ever seen t
he second half to In the Mouth of Madness, but I do love Event Horizon. Those sort of movies are only second to the legendary Hellraiser 1 & 2.
I have to agree with Wiccy on this one. As much as I loved watch In the Mouth of Madness andEvent Horizon, Pinhead and his cenobites have a special place in my heart... and flesh... and bone ...and blood? Oh lord! :shock:
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Great film, though not one to watch stoned, apparently.

I liked Event Horizon better.
Argh. That movie is mindnumbingly bad. I came home at 3 AM one night, pretty damn drunk, and it still sucked... Or maybe it made it suck even more, I don't know. It was still painfully bad, without actually reaching that level of badness where it actually becomes entertaining again, like Battlefield earth does...
:twisted:/:mrgreen:[size=75]
- Malken/Ezekiel, your friendly neighbourhood personality-splinter.[/size]
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

GREAT, GREAT GREAT movie!!! The end is absolutely nerve-wrecking!!

One rant though, against all those who mentioned it. (btw, this is no direct flame. Indirect maybe.) Isn't it completely LAME to watch a movie stoned/dead-drunk and expect to understand/like it?? I just don't get it.... :? :?

Btw, EH was also great, but In the mouth of madness is better by far, even better than Hellraiser 1&2, Wiccy. Especially the 2nd Hellraiser is WEAK!! :x

Jason, didn't you find the 3rd story from Necronomicon almost identical to Midnight Meat Train by Clive Barker???? Great movie, but couldn't escape the notorious exploitations by it's creator (Brian Yusna -sp??-)
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Malken/Ezekiel wrote:Argh. That movie is mindnumbingly bad. I came home at 3 AM one night, pretty damn drunk, and it still sucked...
Obviously, how much you like a movie or not is based on personal tastes. However, I thought that Event Horizon was pretty good overall. The acting wasn't that great, but I really liked the idea of creating a space that used a device to bend space for travel. The neatest aspect, at least to me, is that it created a somewhat realistic idea of how science could create a doorway to 'hell'... Not a great movie, but I would say that it would lose something if you are drunk while watching it.
sabbattack wrote:Jason, didn't you find the 3rd story from Necronomicon almost identical to Midnight Meat Train by Clive Barker?
No, I never caught the connection. Then again, I wasn't familiar with Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train. Is it a book or movie?
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:No, I never caught the connection. Then again, I wasn't familiar with Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train. Is it a book or movie?
It's one of the stories in Books of Blood, about the New York-subway, and a serial killer operating on it.

Some Googling told me there's going to be a movie made out of it, though.
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Thanks, Miriel! I noticed the movie announcements when I was looking into the title as well, which was all the more reason why I was curious as to Midnight Meat Train being a book or movie. I'll need to see if I can find a copy of this book to read and compare to Necronomicon.

As Mr. Garrison mentioned in an episode of South Park, however, all ideas have been used before... :wink:
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

You're welcome, Jason. :) The Necronomicon, are we talking about the book Lovecraft wrote about?
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Actually, in this care, I was referring to the movie of the same name. They made a film several years ago called Necronomicon, and it contained three short stories within the overall movie.
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Mon May 30, 2005 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Nope, you're both mistaken here. Necronomicon is but a myth Lovecraft created, to better solidify his mythos. Although throughout the century many charlatans appeared claiming to know the truth behind it existed in some sort of ancient mysticism book. lol.

Midnight Meat Train is a great story, although not so great as the others found in the same book, the Books of Blood vol.1. Especially the In the hills, the cities is a haunting tale, maybe one of the best (if not the best) i've read in my life. It's one of the few horror stories with a completely "virgin" idea, as in one not used before or based on some sort of genre (ghost, werewolf, zombie, demons, slashers etc).

Anyway, (SPOILERS AHOY for midnight meat train)
Midnight meat train is about an old race, pretty much like the Old Ones, who live at abbandoned subway stations and charge humans to keep them alive by providing them with human corpses.
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!