Bringing Forward The Time Of Unparrelleled Darkness.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
monty--
Conspirator
Conspirator

Bringing Forward The Time Of Unparrelleled Darkness.

Post by monty-- »

sod it, i've waited long enough. well, its been said there'll be no more modules...soooooo, what was the original plan for TOUD? come on, you can tell me, i won't tell anyone. :wink:
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

I believe the writers never had plans for releasing adventure modules describing the TOUD.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Two words...

Flying Monkeys.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:Two words...

Flying Monkeys.
I knew it!
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

It was about asome idiotic girl who whined about everything while on a quest for some big red boots, should she find them and put them on, the world would collapse under the weight of her ignorance and stupidity. The world would then reform with every darklord haviung been replaced with their equivalent from varying species of dog. Definately a dark time if you ask me, especially if you are a cat person :P
Swallow your soul!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Bringing Forward The Time Of Unparrelleled Darkness.

Post by Steve Miller »

monty-- wrote:sod it, i've waited long enough. well, its been said there'll be no more modules...soooooo, what was the original plan for TOUD? come on, you can tell me, i won't tell anyone. :wink:
As Lucifer said, originally there was no intention to ever deal with the Time of Unparalled Darkness in print. When I put that idea into "Bleak House," I was convinced that no gameline would run long enough for it needed to be covered.

However, when WotC announced they were turning out the lights on Ravenloft, I expanded on what the ToUD would be and pitched it as the final release. (Basically, using the way the Mists move through time as well as space, the PCs would find themselves at the ToUD and would get involved with the horrible events. The party would be transported back to present day with knowledge off the approaching, inevitable (?) doom. WotC went with "Die Vecna Die!")
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Bob the Efreet
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Bringing Forward The Time Of Unparrelleled Darkness.

Post by Bob the Efreet »

Steve Miller wrote:However, when WotC announced they were turning out the lights on Ravenloft, I expanded on what the ToUD would be and pitched it as the final release.
Are you interested in and able to expand on this vague mention of your idea?
'Dance with me, Shadowman.'

'Can a lich get children?'

Secrets of the Kargatane refugee
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:evil:

Obviously, he wasn't.

:soth:
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Did sound like a neat idea though, I imagine alot has changed since then. It'd make a cool mega-adventure/future sourcebook.
Le Noir Faineant

Really, as I said in another thread, wouldn't that be a splendid topic for the next QtR?

- You were eager to get more attention and feedback, and I think this would an instant hit. :D

Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

Desdichado wrote:Really, as I said in another thread, wouldn't that be a splendid topic for the next QtR?

- You were eager to get more attention and feedback, and I think this would an instant hit. :D

I think so.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Le Noir Faineant

:shock:

Mr Miller!? The :Brain: brain,hehehe, forgive the joke, behind some very famous RL products!?

8)

Can you please reveal us some more details about the TOUD?
- I mean, since you were involved in the writing of some of the more actual RL books and so hopefully may continue writing for the line, is there at least a possibility that we will see the TOUD happen some time in the future?
Or has the TOUD concept been discarded for good?

Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

I think that if any of the TOUD was revealed, it might eliminate the mystery and creativity it gives DMs who want to use it.

I think we all know that the GC and VR are involved but I think that the TOUD will be different for each DM.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think revealing the ToUD would be like WW's Gehenna, Ascencion and Apocolypse books. It'd end the setting.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Now there's an apocalpse for you:

To even speak of it is to cause the end of all that you know and love!

Which explains the cryptic explanation that the ToUD would make the Requiem and the Grand Conjunction seem like the good old days - the good old days before the setting vanished.
Evil Reigns!!!!