Domain of the week - Isle de la Tempête

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Domain of the week - Isle de la Tempête

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Esteemed members of the Fraternity,

Another month, another domain !

We continue to explore the Nocturnal Sea, this time the island of bats!

Darklord: Captain Monette

Isle de la Tempête info in 3e: none yet (just shown on 3e maps)

Second edition: Domains of Dread, Darklords

---

So post here your adventure hooks or stories.

Reminder: This thread is not just for adventure hooks, it can also be to host short verbatim of local sayings or fireside tavern conversations, à la Gaz 1 web enhancement... or your DM thoughts about this domain.

This thread is for posting adventure hooks or comments / suggestion / improvements on another poster's hook. Other comments will be deleted.

Joël
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Captain Monette is a character that I enjoy using.

I had Monette set up an Inn on his island and later its' grown into a small town. He's learned to control his feedings and has expanded his domain. Much of the water is treacherous and Monette usually wrecks with his storms that he's gained the ability to create in order to have "another ship tragically lost at sea."

The townsfolk of my revised Island are a bunch of individuals whom are cursed with the same hunger that Monette is, except its not for blood. There's hundreds of ships that Monette has sank with gold and gemstones while the waters are filled with great amounts of fish, there's even whales to catch but Monette can't make any of the wealth his own because he gets incredibly dizzy and ironically, seasick if he ever steps foot on a boat.

The Old Seaman is now cursed to either fly or walk but he can never sail again and he cannot stand the wealth the people on his island reap even as his curse affects them too and the town has become a place of violence, treachery, and piracy.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Captain Monette Roleplaying

I find the best way to Play Captain Monette is a stereotypical pirate that is so obviously trying to be so. I put on my best pirate accent, gave him a peg leg and eyepatch and a serious drinking habit (he has a still)

More than anything, he wants off the island and the only thing that enrages him more than the fact the PCs can leave is the loneliness so he'll WANT to speak with them first before he does so.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

One thing I did like in the write up for Stu's campaign, I believe where Sir Caine Shadowborn sucessfully killed Monette (any chance that campaign was ever finished) and it became a realm united with their gods.

I think the Lighthouse should have something sinister about it.

Maybe it's actually a temple or contains something sinister?
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I like the idea of sunken treasure so:

* The Iron Fist was a Darkonian merchant’s vessel sailing back to home laden with gold and Vassan currency as well as the goods of the adventurers/archeologists emigrating to Darkon. Then the vessel went down with all hands. Included in the sunken goods are several small lockboxes of treasure and rumours of enchanted items owned by the heroes.
The Iron Fist has become a legend attracting many treasure seekers who are inevitably sunk adding to the bounty surrounding the treacherous waters.

* The treacherous waters and isolated nature of the island are a benefit to some, such as the monastic order of the Guardians who wish to set up a hold there. They plan on anchoring the ship close to the island (or purposely beaching it) and building a stronghold. They plan enough to keep away from the lighthouse but need guards with strong stomachs and firm arms to help. During the day with carrying supplies and building materials and during the night to watch over the site. Can it be built in time or is the undertaking doomed from the start?

* Madrox is not a native to the Core instead being a sailor from another land. One night he followed a phantom light and found himself surrounded by Mists. Now ten years have past and he has an idea. He has heard many tales of the Phantom light and over the course of some charting he has found the source. He believes if he finds the light again he can head away and sail back home. Failing that he has the plan that if he can track it back to its source he reverse it so it leads home. But regardless he needs brave souls to help him.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

10 million bottles

Post by cure »

After picking at the bones of a wreck, while idly awaiting the next, the good captain found a bottle of wine, which he promptly drained, and was about to hurl it against the rocks when its potential struck him. He now scours wrecks for parchment and bottles and wiles days away composing messages to the unwise. These are becoming increasingly artful, and cover the gamit of treasure maps, ancient ruines, kidnapped noblewomen, lost refugees, oracles, fantastic lands, and even portals to other worlds. So the next time you find a bottle washed up on the shore, bidding you to seek out the light in the mists, be sure to decline its invitation to high adventure. Even having such a bottle in your possession when out of sight of land, dramatically increases your chances of coming face to face with the good captain.
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dear members of the Fraternity,

While this thread isn’t anymore the featured thread of this week, it isn’t closed!

If you have more adventure hooks about this domain, post them here – I will collect them and add them to the site .

Post here adventure hooks, short verbatim (conversation by the fireside), or other thoughts about this domain.

Regards,

Joël