How long have you been visiting Ravenloft message boards?

Discussing all things Ravenloft

How long have you been frequenting Ravenloft message boards and mailing lists?

Since before the advent of the Malodorous Goat Tavern (1997 or thereabouts)
30%
Since before Stu's computer crash (August 2000)
20%
Since before the MGT took on the YaBB format (Autumn 2001, I think...can anyone help?)
23%
Since before the MGT burned to the ground (Autumn 2003)
27%

Total votes: 56

Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

How long have you been visiting Ravenloft message boards?

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

The subject heading says it all. Myself, I've been around since the summer of 2000.

(Pauses to consider the implications of that last sentence)

Somehow, that seems like a really long time.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
ex-ebonfold
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ex-ebonfold »

Me Ive changed names a few times but Ive been around for perhaps too long. From the Kargatane board, to the Wizards board when they asked the Kargatane to shut it down, back to the kargatane board when they got it back (and it became the Goat) through its change to Yabb and now to here. I tend to go through periods of talking and long periods of lurking intermittantly due to the random nature of my work schedule. I get the sinking suspicion that this poll is going to make me feel very very old (which is unfair cos I know I aint the oldest here consarnit).

You should probably include an option for people who started on RL message boards here. There are probably people like that out there.
"Nemo Gratuito Bonus Est" -
No one is good for no reason.
LocdOut
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by LocdOut »

Hey no poll answer for people like me? But wait I used to check out the Kargatane waaaaay back when my boy MSD was posting his Gaming exploits there lol. But I never posted so I don't know if that counts what do you guys say?
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I only started posting in the last year, though I've been scanning the SotK site for about twice as long.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

My first trip to the K was in 1998 when I was looking for Azalins stats on the net cause he wasn't in DoD. I stumbled upon it but being unfamiliar with internet I didn't go into depth or into the board.
Next year in 1999, I had a computer class and I started to post at the K instead of working in class lol.

I remember there was 3 guys calling themselves the Dark Triumvirat. They were the heavy posters. They disapeared when the board was closed and went to WotC.
My name back then (before it was closed) was Phil Shadowborn.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

I rememeber, the ollllld times...even before the Malodorous Goat Tavern.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Another 1998'er here, like Charney. Easy to recall, as that was the year I got my first home computer. I had been wanting to peruse Ravenloft sites on the internet, but my work computer blocks anything that has GAME as the descriptor.
Does anyone recall when the MGT disappeared for several months when WotC required their boards to be the official one. Actually for the best in the long run, as when the K got the MGT going again, it was in the much better YaBB format. When was that, 1998 or 1999?
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

LUCIFERABADDON wrote:I rememeber, the ollllld times...even before the Malodorous Goat Tavern.
Me too, although the Malodorous Goat Tavern was the first Ravenloft message board that I started to frequent.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

I want to say it was the summer of 2000 for me as well--I definitely remember the MGT before it converted to the YABB format, and a lot of discussion that went on after the change from some who liked the new look and others who didn't.

The Kargatane site was the first Ravenloft message board I ever checked out, I think.

You're right... it does seem like a long time... *cringes*
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Catman Jim wrote:Another 1998'er here, like Charney. Easy to recall, as that was the year I got my first home computer. I had been wanting to peruse Ravenloft sites on the internet, but my work computer blocks anything that has GAME as the descriptor.
Does anyone recall when the MGT disappeared for several months when WotC required their boards to be the official one. Actually for the best in the long run, as when the K got the MGT going again, it was in the much better YaBB format. When was that, 1998 or 1999?
Yes I remember, I think it was in the summer of 2000. It lasted another year before constant crashes forces them to switch to Yabb in 2001.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
irve
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by irve »

I came just shortly after the crash of Stu's machine.
[img]http://www.hot.ee/irve/pic/griefgrin.gif[/img] People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk. [i]Stephen King[/i]
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

I appeared sometime in early 2002. I think March or April. Took a few days to get familiar with the website, then I started in with my game.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I had posted on and off on the Kargatane message board a few times before they shut it down the first time, I know at least a coulpe of the names I went under back then were Dr. Eddy and Evil Edd (I only posted a few times, so don't worry if you don't remember me). When they put up a new message board I became a frequent poster, first as Eddy, then The Lost Wiccan and finally The Lost hedgewitch shortly before they switched to Yabb (though for some reason I originally registered on their Yabb board as Lost Wiccan).

I managed to run up about 4,500 posts during my stay there and managed to vacate the premises just 24 hous prior to the Great Fire of Vallaki, then moved to Scipio's forums and then here where I joined the moderating team (makes sense since I am one of the FoS, heheh).

Oh, and for the record, I visited the original site Stu had "Our Place in the Mists" and didn't realise the Kargatane site was what became of it for some time later, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

I only started posting on the boards last summer, but I'd been visiting the rest of SotK since at least 2000.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I've been around since they brought the MGN out for the first time, when the K was allowed to bring back the message board. I think that was around 1998, before Stu's crash.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005