Pathfinder conversion rules/document?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ravendragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Pathfinder conversion rules/document?

Post by Ravendragon »

I'm curious to know if anyone has worked on converting Ravenloft to Pathfinder and if a document exists that I can get my [virtual] hands on.
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

As far as I know, it hasn't been done yet, but seeing as how Pathfinder is mostly backwards compatible, it should be just a matter of using the free pathfinder conversion guide from paizo.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I've thought about doing one, but, with other writing I've been putting off (the next Fraternity Gaz, a edition changing adventure arc, school) I decided it would be too much on my plate. Maybe later, if no one else does.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

If you take the RL3e books and apply these rules to Pathfinder, it should work nicely, with may be a few things to change (sorcerer's bloodlines comes to mind)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Another minor issue would be "pathfinder-izing" the half-vistani
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ravendragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ravendragon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Another minor issue would be "pathfinder-izing" the half-vistani
What would be the recommendation for this? I'm seriously considering making my first character one.
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

And Caliban, and full Vistani.

In the Mistfinder thread we talked about the caliban, and Tobias Blackburn mentioned that he is in the process of tweaking the half-vistani. He also posted lots of details about his PF calibans.

In the Vistani Racial traits thread I argued that the 3E version of half-vistani does not make that much sense in comparison to the 3E full vistani. Why do the half-breeds get skill/emphasis bonuses according to tribe/tasque, but the full vistani don't? When converting them both to PF i would fix that. Also John Mangrum posted his version of the 3.5 full vistani, complete with bonuses by tasque there.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The RL prestige classes should also be pathfinderized.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Giamarga wrote:The RL prestige classes should also be pathfinderized.
Most of them need to be upgraded to 3.5 first. :)

The Pickled Punk and others made a start of it here. Did we ever collect that into a netbook article?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:

The Pickled Punk and others made a start of it here. Did we ever collect that into a netbook article?
Were that ever done, I have a couple ideas for cleaning up the Scholar Class with its irrational skill package. And the Scientist class needs massive, although sadly controversial, work.
The cure for what ails you
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

And here is a lengthy discussion on updating/revising the Knight of Shadows PrC to 3.5.
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Yes, sort of. It's in the Mausoleum, under downloads.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

With the prestige classes Pathfinder went even farther than with the core classes in changing things. Take a look at the PF assassin or the PF duelist for example. No more spellcasting for the assassin, and a complete overhaul of the awkward 3.5 duelist powers. Plus more additional powers for both.

So keeping this in mind some of more problematic RL PrCs should be reworked completely for PF. This would be a great project for the community projects board. I'll have to make time to read through my just arrived Pathfinder core rules first though...
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

The Giamarga wrote:So keeping this in mind some of more problematic RL PrCs should be reworked completely for PF. This would be a great project for the community projects board. I'll have to make time to read through my just arrived Pathfinder core rules first though...
Which wouldn't be half a bad thing, IMHO, even for 3.5. As much as the 3rd edition RL material was rich in fluff, the mechanics department left quite a bit to be desired. Take a look at VR Arsenal, for example. Excellent fluff, but there were a number of PrC that tried too hard to follow the spirit of 2nd Ed kits, making them less than optimal choices for 3e characters. Also, it could have used another round of editing. I remember at least a couple of PrC entries where the skills requirements were duplicated. And in Gaz II, Gondegal's stats even makes use of descriptions from the Knight of Shadows kit. Yes, the 2nd edition one. :?
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]