some questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

some questions

Post by herkles »

Hello,

I have some questions that other lore people might be able to help me with. mostly about richemulot.

1.) does richemulot really have no poverty, and thus no poor and thus no problems with the poor; as well as land available for the taking. Sounds almost perfect? even with the wererats it just sounds too rosy

2.) How well known are the were rats in Richemulot.

3.) are the reniers connected at all to the reniers who founded mordentshire

4.) is the Renier family, royalty? I think I read that Jaqueline was called queen but not sure.

5.) what holidays are there in borca?

sincerely,

-herkles
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: some questions

Post by Jester of the FoS »

1) No homeless, but jobs and foods might be harder to find. Poverty always exists.

2) As well-known as you want them to be. Rats may be a problem and there might be legends, but how many know they can walk as men vary.

3) I believe so; the family fled from Mordent and a new land appeared.

4) I think they're just nobles IIRC.

5) I'd google classic Italian holidays and use those as the base.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

while there is no direct connection between the Renier that built Gryphon Hill manor and the wererat that fled Falkovnia's sewers and became darklord of Richemulot, I find coincidences like those are too useful to ignore. In Legacy of the Blood it talks about two branches of the family, some that even returned to Mordent right before the events of I10 so they could be conveniently present when Mordent got sucked into the demiplane.

Richemulot sort of does look too good to be true, and I think that is the point. Compared to its neighbors it must look like a regular Eden, but once you scratch the polish off, the rot is easy enough to find. I think Richemulot works best if you keep up appearances that all the prosperity and civilized nature of the place is just a carefully crafted facade. And despite the wererats, I still say humans are the worst monsters one could find in a place like Mortigny or Ste. Rognes.

To my knowledge there is not a single person going by the title of "Queen" in all of Ravenloft (may have missed someone) and I believe that despite title or actual power,t he Reniers have fashioned themselves as well-to-do folk who have risen above antiquated ideas like royalty. To the wererat society lurking int eh shadows, however, I'm certain she is revered as a queen, and possibly a goddess.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

As to the queen comment i think on the Isle of Raven's the lone lady there might be Queen of the Ravens. <.< I think not %100 sure i'd have to check again. Though Richemulot not having homeless... is that because of the wererats? They eat the homeless? o.O'
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

According to the Mistipedia there's also the marikith quieen and Queen Maeve of the Arak.

http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Queen
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

ah, Jaqueline is de-facto queen, that might have been what I read though i thought I read another line. I know Gabrielle was declared a queen when she ruled Invidia, and probaly still considers herself one.

It is mostly the issue with poverty I have. the books make it sound out to be an eden, and well that just seems silly to me to be that rosy. so this is mostly want i want to examine.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

You know what they say if it's too good to be true.... it's TOO good to be true. :azalin:

The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Zilfer wrote: Though Richemulot not having homeless... is that because of the wererats? They eat the homeless? o.O'
There's just lots of empty houses...
devilfox
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by devilfox »

I had always assumed Richemulot's abundance of empty hosues was part of how the domain reflects Jacqueline (or the wererats, more accurately). Rats can live practically anywhere, so the domain makes room for anyone looking for a place to live.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

An interesting way to look at it no doubt... i still think there may be a few "homeless" people being eaten. :D

devilfox
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by devilfox »

Zilfer wrote:An interesting way to look at it no doubt... i still think there may be a few "homeless" people being eaten. :D
I'm sure there probably would be - after all, not everyone in Richemulot would be looking for a house.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I'm not sure i'd call a nation of squatters living in crumbling half-ruins, "Eden". :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I'm not sure i'd call a nation of squatters living in crumbling half-ruins, "Eden". :)
except that contridicts about them having no poverty. no poverty means no beggers, no squaters, no homeless, no hungry people, no poor and so forth >.>

or am I looking at it at the wrong way? >.>
devilfox
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by devilfox »

herkles wrote:except that contridicts about them having no poverty. no poverty means no beggers, no squaters, no homeless, no hungry people, no poor and so forth >.>

or am I looking at it at the wrong way? >.>
I'm not sure about them having no poverty. They definitely (seem to) have no homeless, but as Gonzoron pointed out, the vast majority of these homes are ramshackle, crumbling ruins - as befits the rats. But just because everyone has a "roof" over their head, doesn't mean that people aren't poor, or hungry, etc.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Everyone has a roof over their head, and a sewer entrance beneath their feet. There is certainly more going on in Richemulot than just available housing and a hands-off gentry. It is the realm of secrets, and chances are if you've spoken something aloud in the domain, some little squeaker is reporting it to Jackie.

Eden may have been an exaggeration. I just think the average Falkovnian living in squalor in the Lekar slums would find the idea of Richemulot very appealing. Maybe even less extreme examples: Barovians tired of vamps, Verbrekers tired of wolves. I'd say the Reniers do little to dissuade immigration from "more dangerous" realms.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook