The Shattered City: OOC
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
I would like to say, on the subject of Thierri, that there is a difference between arbitrary and indeterminate. I was shocked at the scene, as I think others were whatever their preference for the Francophone mage. I was left asking, "Why?" which has more to do with--surprise--not knowing why he was compelled to enter the portal than assuming there was no reason at all. Of course there was. It is our job, as players in an investigative campaign, to find out why.
What can seem "arbitrary" to some is the way he died, I suppose, not that he died at all. This would fall under the category of anti-climactic more than completely meaningless. My main analogy here is the death of Sirius in the Harry Potter series (say what you will about it). He simply fell through the Veil in the Death Chamber. It is a strange re-cycling of the metaphor of death. Thierri walked into death rather than go through a human dying process, which is the literal form of death. I think for some it's quite upsetting that these characters didn't get their sort of Final Moment of Triumph or whatever, but this is Ravenloft. People are going to die, and they certainly won't always go out with a) a bang or b) mundane means.
In short, I disagree that his death was arbitrary/in vain, etc. It should be a kind of rallying point for the characters. They have experienced death, in whatever form, close hand. And now they know the price of the Shattered City.
What can seem "arbitrary" to some is the way he died, I suppose, not that he died at all. This would fall under the category of anti-climactic more than completely meaningless. My main analogy here is the death of Sirius in the Harry Potter series (say what you will about it). He simply fell through the Veil in the Death Chamber. It is a strange re-cycling of the metaphor of death. Thierri walked into death rather than go through a human dying process, which is the literal form of death. I think for some it's quite upsetting that these characters didn't get their sort of Final Moment of Triumph or whatever, but this is Ravenloft. People are going to die, and they certainly won't always go out with a) a bang or b) mundane means.
In short, I disagree that his death was arbitrary/in vain, etc. It should be a kind of rallying point for the characters. They have experienced death, in whatever form, close hand. And now they know the price of the Shattered City.
If anyone else would care to, I'd like to continue this party cohesion conversation (as well as a recap of everything we know about the mysteries so far) in the interlude thread IC.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
- NeoTiamat
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 4119
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
And Book Three is finished, the Third Interlude is up, and here's some intermediary bookkeeping.
First, you are all level 8 now.
Second, you each recieve one item of 11th level or lower, 100 gp in currency, and 1000 gp worth of residuum.
First, you are all level 8 now.
Second, you each recieve one item of 11th level or lower, 100 gp in currency, and 1000 gp worth of residuum.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Cheerful level up music!
nrgh remembering things. Thanks for doing this Cronax, its needed and I think everyone sitting down and comparing notes will solve a lot of the party cohesiveness problems. The problem is as IC as it is OOC so its appropriate for the party to take notice and work to fix it.
nrgh remembering things. Thanks for doing this Cronax, its needed and I think everyone sitting down and comparing notes will solve a lot of the party cohesiveness problems. The problem is as IC as it is OOC so its appropriate for the party to take notice and work to fix it.
"Is there anything keeping us from checking that place out tonight?" Besides sanity, naturally.
- Rock of the Fraternity
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 6808
- Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm
I am having a minor conflict of indecision.
Lia knows about the existence of the FoS, and I strongly suspect they're the 'men with snakes on their hands' mentioned in Anna-Marie's little bout of prophecy. Telling the rest of the party about it puts everyone's lives in deadly peril, though.
I am willing to share. But do you guys want me to?
Lia knows about the existence of the FoS, and I strongly suspect they're the 'men with snakes on their hands' mentioned in Anna-Marie's little bout of prophecy. Telling the rest of the party about it puts everyone's lives in deadly peril, though.
I am willing to share. But do you guys want me to?
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
- Nathan of the FoS
- Fiendish Enforcer

- Posts: 5247
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
- Location: San Francisco CA
Just to reiterate Im on the road for the next week so simply pretend Nicolas is in the corner drunkenly nodding along to whatever gets decided. I'm kind of gutted I'm going to miss this but I have no idea if I'll have web access or time to post.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
- NeoTiamat
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 4119
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
I would like to recommend, very strongly, that you guys be certain of your information when you post in the interlude thread. It does not take very many instances of people misremembering to turn this from a useful information collation session to a giant red herring feast. We're not going to be double-checking your information.
Remember that you do have the option of rolling Intelligence for remembering things.
Remember that you do have the option of rolling Intelligence for remembering things.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
Nerit: Drink the drink.
Darius: But I don't want the drink.
Mr. Agale: He doesn't want the drink.
Nerit: He does.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: ...You don't.
Darius: I do.
Nerit: You don't.
Darius: I do.
Nerit: You don't.
Darius: [taking drink] Listen, when I say I do, that means I do!
Darius: But I don't want the drink.
Mr. Agale: He doesn't want the drink.
Nerit: He does.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: You do.
Darius: I don't.
Nerit: ...You don't.
Darius: I do.
Nerit: You don't.
Darius: I do.
Nerit: You don't.
Darius: [taking drink] Listen, when I say I do, that means I do!
- yalenusveler
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
- Location: Pennsylvania...or Baator
Who was there for the incident with the Atropos book? that might be something to bring up at the little meeting we're having, as I don't recall that being something brought up to the group at large before.
Lia, Cyrus, Celeste, or Darius were in the group that got it, and it was something the group was said to have taken with them.
Lia, Cyrus, Celeste, or Darius were in the group that got it, and it was something the group was said to have taken with them.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
Whee! My new character is ready to go, barring any tweaking I might do in the next couple days. Soon you guys will get to meet Rex the Rogue-- er, Rex the Alchemist.
I remember the book, sorta. I also remember we took the charter but I don't remember what we did with it. Cyrus would've preferred to hand it over to authorities at the Palace of Justice but I don't recall if he actually did that. I think I talked about it to the DMs, at least.
I remember the book, sorta. I also remember we took the charter but I don't remember what we did with it. Cyrus would've preferred to hand it over to authorities at the Palace of Justice but I don't recall if he actually did that. I think I talked about it to the DMs, at least.
- NeoTiamat
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 4119
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
As far as I am concerned, Cyrus returned the Charter to the Palace of Justice pretty much immediately after you realized what you had. Largely because keeping a priceless stolen national treasure is the kind of illegal that guarantees lengthy stays in Montmort Prison.
ANNOUNCEMENT
I am leaving on vacation today for Paris, France, and I shall be away from the 16th of June till the 24th of June. So until next Thursday, pretty much. You may remember that I took a vacation about this time last year as well.
In the meantime, Isabella shall be running the show. Have fun everyone!
ANNOUNCEMENT
I am leaving on vacation today for Paris, France, and I shall be away from the 16th of June till the 24th of June. So until next Thursday, pretty much. You may remember that I took a vacation about this time last year as well.
In the meantime, Isabella shall be running the show. Have fun everyone!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
