Another gift for the new year...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

Right, okay, thread-necromancy here, BUT! I am dumb and thought the "Google Ravenloft" idea was mine thirty minutes ago. If I can figure out how to work the Google Maps API I could put up the Port-a-Lucine map on my journaly blog thing for Shattered City? I need permission from lostboy before the attempt, though 8).
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Biding my time...

Post by lostboy »

Of course you can, its up there to be done with as anyone sees fit.

I did look into this a while back actually. It seems the way it works (or one way of doing it anyway) is to create a series of 200 x 200 pixel mapping tiles then create them as a javascript library. The API then calls what it needs as you scroll and zoom.

I didn't get any further than that, so not very helpful really..... :?
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
User avatar
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:14 am
Location: Santiago de Chile

Post by Don Fernando »

Great work lostboy!!

Hey the idea of new RL cartography with this kind of quality is quite exciting. Heck, I would even volunteer to help anyway I can in order to have these kind of maps! :D
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

I looked into it and there's a lot of scripting work involved in a custom Google API map, which I can't do :/. However, there is something like http://www.maplib.net/ . If you look at random maps you'll find a lot of D&D stuff already in there. Here's Middle Earth: http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=13

So, it's 3rd party hosting. I can't afford to buy it for my own site or anything.

EDIT: Nevermind. I checked it out and their max size is 6000 pixels & 4MB. Not feasible for such a detailed map.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

Okay, I've come up with another idea, but it involves a circus of cooperation :P. It would have to be hosted on Mistipedia with this plugin. I believe it allows custom image maps (not just custom lat/long from Earth on Google Maps...). I have no idea if Gonzoron would be willing.

I looked into the alternative of a Wordpress plugin for a custom Google Map but there seems to be none.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Biding my time...

Post by lostboy »

If it can be done I'm game, drop me a pm sometime Nerit and maybe we can have a chat on Aim about how we go about doing it?
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
User avatar
Joël of the FoS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7061
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: St-Damien, Québec

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I love maps! Go for it!

Another interesting idea would be to have the domain map as they appeared, i.e. to show what it did look like when Barovia had a border with Darkon. And then this domain appeared, and this one, and this one. As some kind of a core evolution slide show.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

Someone did do a series of images based on the evolution of domains, Joel, and it's hosted on the wiki: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:The_Core
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
Joël of the FoS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7061
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm
Gender: Male
Location: St-Damien, Québec

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Yes I know of this thing. But it's based on the domain position as of now.

We do not see the domains shift and move when a new domain is created between two domains, for exemple when Barovia had a border with Darkon, before Nova Vaasa was created and moved in between them.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Post Reply