This page incorporates text from Wikipedia.
Domains are land pieces brought together by a mysterious force known only as the "Dark Powers". Each domain is mystically ruled by a being called a "darklord", which is a person or monster who has committed an act or acts of evil so foul as to attract special attention from the Dark Powers. The darklords are imprisoned within the borders of their domains and cannot escape by any means, although most can seal their domain borders with a thought. Within their domains, the darklords are forever tormented by the objects of their desire (often the objects they committed their crimes to achieve), which the Dark Powers dangle before them like the fruits of Tantalus.
A Timeline of Domain Development
- 351 BC Summer - The massacre at the Wedding of Sergei von Zarovich occurs. Barovia forms as the first Ravenloft domain due the actions of Strahd von Zarovich.
- 547 BC 1934 Forfarian Calendar - The Execution of Andrew ApFittle. Tristen ApBlanc wins a bloody civil war for Forfar. He orders the execution of the last ApFittle. As Tristen claims lordship of Forfar for himself, the Dark Powers respond. Forlorn becomes the second domain to form in Ravenloft.
- 579 BC - Strahd and Azalin create a portal to Mordent, where The Alchemist conducts strange research on changing the soul. The Mists snatch up Mordent before either Strahd or Azalin can make good their escape, leaving them with only hazy dream-like recollections of what happened.
- 579 BC - Azalin leaves the service of Strahd. Darkon forms as he leaves Barovia.
- 600 BC - Vechor is revealed. As Ravenloft claims the lair of Easan the Mad, Ahmi Vanjuko is taken as well. As the Mists surround the mansion, Vanjuko flees but winds up in Kartakass.
- 635 BC - Meredoth's mass murder and reanimation of his subjects causes Nebligtode to form, drawn in from off the coast of Norwold (a territory of the Alphatian Empire in the world of Mystara). At this stage of its evolution, Nebligtode consists of a number of islands in the Sea of Sorrows.
- 646 BC - Avonleigh arises from the Phantasmal Forest. Note that there is some discrepancy here on when and how the Phantasmal Forest first forms. The Audio CD for A Light in the Belfry have the Phantasmal Forest taken as a part of Avonleigh when it enters Ravenloft. The 3rd Edition Ravenloft products infer that the Phantasmal Forest already existed in Ravenloft, and that Tergeron Manor simply emerge from within in upon arrival to the Land of Mists. According to the comments left by John W. Mangrum, the Phantasmal Forest exists as a manifestation of Ebonbane's evil as opposed to the origins given in A Light in the Belfry.
- 654 BC - On this approximate year, Locknar Cove is taken by the Mists to form an Island of Terror.
- 670 BC - Formerly part of a larger land on the Prime Material Plane, Sri Raji is drawn into the land of Mists.
- 683 BC - The domain of Lamordia forms.(In the Domains of Dread timeline, Lamordia merely joins the Core on this year.
- 690 BC - Falkovnia forms, as does the floating pocket domains of The Endless Road and the Winding Road
- 702 BC - After Yagno Petrovna flees into the Mists, When he exits the Mists, his domain, G'Henna, reveals itself to him.
- The Great Upheaval. Effects:
- [[[Arak]], Arkandale, Dorvinia, and Gundarak, ceased to be, their lands absorbed into or merged with neighboring domains.
- Bluetspur, G'Henna, and the Nightmare Lands are thrown from the Core and became Islands of Terror.
- Dominia forms as a small Island of Terror
- Farelle, Sanguinia, and Vechor all disappear, seemingly destroyed.
- Markovia is displaced but will eventually be rediscovered as an island in the Sea of Sorrows, its climate and flora visibly changing from temperate to tropical.
- Rokushima Táiyoo is revealed.
- The Shadow Rift appears where G'Henna and Markovia formerly were.
- The ]]Sea of Sorrows]] receives its own darklord for the first time.
- The Verduous Lands is created from the combining of Sri Raji, the Wildlands, and Saragoss.
- 743 BC - Having vanished from the mainland of the Core, Markovia is found once again in the Sea of Sorrows.
- 746 BC - The Amber Wastes cluster forms when Har'Akir, Sebua, and Pharazia fuse together into one landmass.
- 747 BC - Nueva Aragona is drawn into the Mists as a cluster of two domains (Maconda and Resistencia).
- 750 BC - The Burning Peaks cluster (Cavitius and Tovag) forms as the Mists capture both Vecna and Kas.
- 752 BC - In Sithicus, The Night of Screaming Shadows occurs. Lord Soth leaves Ravenloft, and Inza Kuchevich takes his place as darklord. As the darklord changes, the fundamental nature of Sithicus also changes. The Guilt of Sithicus sets in. Even Nuitari, Sithicus' moon, changes.
- 753 BC - [[netbook-small}} Late Year The archipelago of Igid Rabi-i enters the the Demiplane of Dread.
- 763 BC - Yuhaehan is freed from his imprisonment and ravages the land it once swore to protect. The dragon's evil makes it the darklord of the Dokyúumi
- 763 BC - The Scattered Lotus Archipelago cluster forms from Rokushima Taiyoo, Dokyúumi (now its own domain), and Dat Cua Nhen.
- Domains of Dread p. 14-15
- Gazetteer I, pp 10, 16.
- Weeping Lands p. 5,15
- Gazetteer I p.131
- Domains of Dread p.16
- Ravenloft Third Edition p.17
- Ravenloft Player's Handbook p.19
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 181
- Domains of Dread p.90-91
- Domains of Dread p. 16
- Gazetteer II p.135
- I10: Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill
- King of the Dead
- Gazetteer II p.9
- Book of Souls p.54
- Gazetteer II p. 21
- Gazetteer I p.18
- Book of Sacrifices p.99
- Book of Sacrifices p.86
- Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium I & II p.85-86
- Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer p. 225
- Ustalav Gazetteer, QtR22 p.216
- Gazetteer IV p.44-45
- Gazetteer I p.93
- Alanik Ray's Library Archives Places p.195
- Domains of Dread p. 80
- Domains of Dread p.79-80
- Ship of Horror p.54
- Ship of Horror p.43
- Quoth the Raven Issue 19, p.54
- Comments on plans for Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume X
- The Book of Souls (Netbook) p.72
- Alanik Ray's Library Archives Places p.6
- Book of Sacrifices p. 118
- Web of Illusion p. 58
- Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer p.90
- Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume V pg. 155
- Gazetteer II p. 69
- Domains of Dread p. 17
- Gazetteer IV p.15
- Book of Sacrifices p.92; Hakaan has been looking for away out for "the past 70 years" from 755 BC, the then corresponding time of writing of the Book of Sacrifices
- Gazetteer II p.93
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 136
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 141
- Gazetteer III p.83
- Domains of Dread p.17, 87
- Nebula Obscura p.11
- Gazetteer III p. 10, 123
- Domains of Dread p.17
- Gazetteer I p.47
- Alanik Ray's Library Archives Places p.335
- Alanik Ray's Library Archives Places p.32
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 184
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 178
- Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer p. 391
- Domains of Dread p.93
- Ravenloft Third Edition p.18
- Ravenloft Player's Handbook p.20
- Ravenloft Campaign Setting: Realm of Terror (Red Box) p. 19
- Ravenloft Campaign Setting: Domains and Denizens p.35
- Neither Man Nor Beast p.
- Gazetteer II p. 73
- Book of Sorrows p.84
- Gazetteer V p. 77
- Children of the Night: Darklords p.169
- Undead Sea Scrolls 2001 p.143
- The Forgotten Terror
- Spectre of the Black Rose p. 312
- Gazetteer IV p.108
- Gazetteer IV p.120
- Undead Sea Scrolls 2003 p.174
- Undead Sea Scrolls 2001 p.82
- Book of Sacrifices p.96-97. Igid Rabi-i is taken a year after the Vestibulo is completed.
- Gazetteer II p.55
- Children of the Night: Darklords p. 209
- Ryan Naylor's Children of the Night: Darklords p. 167, 178, 209
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
- ► Island of Terror (2 C, 49 P)
- ► Mixed CL Domain (10 P)
- ► Pocket Domain (5 C, 37 P)
- ► Shadowfell Domain (8 P)
- ► The Core (3 C, 44 P)
Pages in category "Domain"
The following 177 pages are in this category, out of 177 total.
- The Cairn (Domain)
- The Cathedral of the Damned (Location)
- The Church of the Damned
- The Dread Elemental Domain of Blood
- The Dread Elemental Domain of Grave
- The Dread Elemental Domain of Mists
- The Dread Elemental Domain of Pyre
- The Drowning Deep
- The Endless Road
- The Eternal Torture (Ship)
- The Eyrie
- The House of Lament
- The Isle
- The Isle of Desidia
- The Isle of the Ravens
- The Kingdom of Fairhafen
- The Lost Wizard's Tower (Domain)
- The Nightmare Lands (Domain)
- The Nocturnal Sea
- The Northlands (Domain)
- The Raging Tears
- The Sea of Sorrows
- The Shadow Rift (Domain)
- The Twilight Zone
- The Wildlands
- The Winding Road
- The Wounded City
- Tsuu-Y-Teke (Domain)